Selcting vectors for pocket toolpaths

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
theslaz
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO

Selcting vectors for pocket toolpaths

Post by theslaz »

Still working on my Crib Wars project. I want some areas on my crib board to be recessed lower than the main tracks. My problem is I have numerous lines/vectors running every which way, and I do not know how to select a group of vectors that would encompass the recessed area I would want. I have tried to select the individual vectors one at a time, but in doing so, without fail other vectors are selected being that they are joined to the one I wanted selected.Same problem if I try to select the area I want recessed by by drawing a box around it. Either some vectors are selected or some are not. I've included a PDF document showing what I have. I've added numbers to the areas I want recessed. The number one area is basically the entire area around the outside of the board.

Thanks in advance
Crib Wars Updated.pdf
(27.79 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Selcting vectors for pocket toolpaths

Post by TReischl »

This is similar to doing text on text. It is an exercise in properly defining the vectors that enclose various pockets. Each pocket you intend to cut has to have its own closed vectors describing it. You may want to do a search for the text on text techniques. There have been several good threads about how to do it.

You cannot share a single line between adjacent pockets.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Currently the only way this could be machined is to use a Profile On the line strategy to machine all the vectors at a constant depth.

You will want to move your vectors to different layers to help organize and control how different sections are machined. In Cut2D go to Help/Video Tutorial Browser and search for Layer Guide - General Topics. This will help you to leverage Layers for your project.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

This is also a case where the vectors needed for the various levels, etc. are best placed in their own layers. This is so that selecting the vectors is done en masse via the "Vector Selection" "Selector..." button rather than trying to manually dragging over every single one needed.

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Thanks for all the helpful info! Talk about a quick response!
So; I could make a layer just for the recessed areas by moving all my lines to that layer and deleting the vectors I don't want or need. Than selecting the recessed areas and work from there?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

theslaz wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:43 pm
Thanks for all the helpful info! Talk about a quick response!
So; I could make a layer just for the recessed areas by moving all my lines to that layer and deleting the vectors I don't want or need. Than selecting the recessed areas and work from there?
Also, if you use the Vector Selector feature in the toolpath window and by checking the right boxes, you can assign the vectors on a layer to a toolpath. Then, when you Recalculate All Toolpaths, all of those vectors will be calculated automatically without having to be separately selected.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Just thought I'd post my results after playing around with vectors. What I did do was remove all unnecessary vectors/lines from my project, just leaving the pockets that I wanted recessed. This worked. I did have problems joining some of the vectors so that a tool path could be calculated, but I eventually got them all joined and the tool path was successfully generated. Everything is a go except for the text. I have experimented with some and the results were not favorable. Trying to carve legible text 1/8 inch high may not be possible. My question is: Would a laser attachment be the answer?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

To cut text that size I use 45 and 30 degree engraving bits using the single line fonts and a profile toolpath.

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Thanks. I tried something along that line. I found a suitable single line font and using a V-bit, it worked. I had to drag the word (start) sideways to expand it. That seemed to give me something that was legible. Now I have to figure out how to highlight the word with paint without making a mess.