Problems with setting depth of cut in Cut2d

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
theslaz
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO

Problems with setting depth of cut in Cut2d

Post by theslaz »

In doing my crib war project, I finally got my design complete. I thought I would try a few test projects to make sure I had my settings right for the depth of the holes, lines and pocket tool paths. My problem is, that I can't get the program/cnc to drill anything other than at a 1/4 inch depth. I've tried every different setting I could think of, even set the depth at zero and it still cuts/drills at 1/4 inch. And yes. I have set Z axis to zero many times. I've got to be doing something wrong! Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Problems with setting depth of cut in Cut2d

Post by adze_cnc »

Silly question time: your start depth (D) is 0 and you cut depth (C) is set to the depth you want?

See image here: https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.0/Cut2 ... lpath.html

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you could upload the CRV file that would help us help you.

https://support.vectric.com/faq/vectric ... -the-forum
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Yes, I have done that. Right now the setting is D .0 inches; C .0 inches. It cuts at 1/4 inch. I've tried D .0 inches and c .062 inches. It cuts at 1/4 inch.

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Just an update on the depth of cut problem I appeared to have. After much fiddling with settings, I think I finally got it do what I wanted. However; I'm not happy with depth that Cut2d gives me in respect to I what I want. E.G. If I want a 1/16 inch deep pocket, I have to set the depth of my tool to .02. Don't know, but when I went to school I was taught that 1/16 should be .062. But that is okay, I can adjust accordingly! I also found that Cud2D and Vtransfer get confused sometimes. Simple solution is to shut down and restart. No big deal! Thanks for the help. I honestly think I'll be back for more help before this project is over.

One thing I did experiment with is text. I would like some very small text/instructions on this crib board. Wasn't exactly impressed what the cnc put out. Maybe its not possible to do as small as I want. If anyone has some pointers; I'm listening!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The issue isn't Cut2D. If you tell it to cut 1/16th that is what it will cut. The issue is your machine, controller software or your z-zeroing process.

For very small text you're best to use an engraving bit and the single line fonts.

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you; its something I'm doing wrong at my end. I think I'm doing my Z setting right. I put it the surface of my work piece and save the setting. As for engraving. I used a v bit. Is that not used for engraving? And what is a single line font? It could be the material I was practicing on. It is piece of pine. That is not the best for going cross grain. I'll try some MDF when I'm able to pick some up. Thanks.

II now have come across another problem when doing my lines. The image is now reversed in my design! I'll start another thread for that.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Engraving bits are typically much more acute angles than standard v-bits so can cut much finer lines at deeper depths. The single line fonts are a set of fonts available in the text tool by selecting Single Line rather than TrueType.

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Thank you. Will have to get one of these bits as I'm using only the basic ones that came with the machine. Good to know about the fonts. Thanks!

Dale Yeager
Model of CNC Machine: Hobby laser engaver & CNC router

Post by Dale Yeager »

theslaz wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:08 pm
Just an update on the depth of cut problem I appeared to have. After much fiddling with settings, I think I finally got it do what I wanted. However; I'm not happy with depth that Cut2d gives me in respect to I what I want. E.G. If I want a 1/16 inch deep pocket, I have to set the depth of my tool to .02. Don't know, but when I went to school I was taught that 1/16 should be .062. But that is okay, I can adjust accordingly! I also found that Cud2D and Vtransfer get confused sometimes. Simple solution is to shut down and restart. No big deal! Thanks for the help. I honestly think I'll be back for more help before this project is over.

One thing I did experiment with is text. I would like some very small text/instructions on this crib board. Wasn't exactly impressed what the cnc put out. Maybe its not possible to do as small as I want. If anyone has some pointers; I'm listening!
Did you get this figured out? I t sure sounds like you have your machine "steps per mm" set wrong for the "Z" axis. Based on your math I would bet you need to change it to about 1/3 the current setting. An easy way to check this would be to leave the tool off and then touch the machine to the board. Send a command to raise it a given amount then measure what you actually get.