Router stopped. How to restart the project

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
theslaz
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO

Router stopped. How to restart the project

Post by theslaz »

Doing a test run for my Crib War project. Do to the fact my project is to big for my desktop cnc, I have set up two tile tool paths for the project.Running the first tile tool path, everything was going good until about 3/4 through, the router refused to plunge (drill a hole). Is just sat there running. No movement up or down. I eventually shut the motor down. Now my predicament is, how do I restart the project so that it continues from where it left of. I did make note of the X & Y coordinates as well as the Z. I am using Vtransfer. The problem with Vtransfer is does not have a feature to shut down the motor. Only a abort key, which I used.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: Router stopped. How to restart the project

Post by gregk »

VTransfer currently only features the abort button, and that causes Grbl to perform a Soft-Reset. It may have lost the position, so it is possible that even if you move it to the coordinates you've noted, it may not get to the same exact spot. Grbl documentation says:
  • If reset while in motion, Grbl will throw an alarm to indicate position may be lost from the motion halt.
  • If reset while not in motion, position is retained and re-homing is not required.
Since it wasn't moving when you've stopped it, it may be ok after all.
You can edit the g-code to remove all commands after the header to the point where it was supposed to plunge. Then load that file in VTransfer.
It may be worth checking why Grbl stopped before the plunge. VTransfer features a console window, where you may find more information if that happens in the future.
Also, please check that you have a latest version of VTransfer (2.12). I hope this helps.

Greg K

theslaz
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO

Post by theslaz »

Thanks for your reply. I found out what the reason was for my router stopping. Apparently my x axis motor separated from the screw shaft. I guess when I put this thing together I must not have tightened up the set screws properly. What I don't understand is why the router stopped. After all, the Z axis and Y axis where still working? I never did get it back to the point where it stopped. I thought that fiddling withe code would do the trick as you mentioned; but I wouldn't have a clue where to look for the code. I know the G-Code program (Candle) that came with the cnc has a dialogue window that shows the code as your working. VTransfer doesn't have that; at least I haven't been able to find it!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

What I don't understand is why the router stopped. After all, the Z axis and Y axis where still working?
Be glad it stopped. If it had kept going -- that is how fires get started.

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop