Copy along Vectors problem

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
theslaz
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO

Copy along Vectors problem

Post by theslaz »

Building a crib board. Having problems copying the holes along the oval ( half circles) vectors. I’m using Cut2D desktop to design the board. What I have done so far is draw 3 straight lines and 2 curved lines to indicate the path of the holes. I have drawn 3 small circles to indicated the holes. One hole is on the line and one hole on each side of the line.These are set evenly apart in a parallel pattern. I than selected all three and grouped them. I than went to the “Copy along Vectors” icon and selected it. I highlighted my 3 grouped circles and also highlighted my arced line. Making sure that the circles and arced line were highlighted together. In the “Copy Along Vectors dialog, I selected “Copy Object” ; “Number of Copies” and “Align objects to Curve” ( I tried this last selection both checked and unchecked with the same results!) I than pressed copy. What I got and keep on getting is a copy of my 3 circles along the curved line. That's on the line, no circles are of the line. What I want is one circle on the line and one on each side of the line as in my grouping.
I have been able to copy the 3 circles successfully on the straight lines, just can’t seem to do it on the arc’s. The interesting part is, I have successfully done this on a test project I did about a week ago. Driving me crazy, should be so easy! Can some one point me in the right direction.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: Copy along Vectors problem

Post by gregk »

Try to rotate your grouped circles 90 degrees. Afterwards select circles first, then your curve then run Copy Along Vectors tool.
I hope that helps.

Greg K

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

This is how I do it. Select the grouped circles first then the arc.
Attachments
Copy Along Vectors.png
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I've never used the copy along curve function so I thought I'd have a go. Is this something close to what you were looking for?

Admittedly I'm using VCarve and not Cut2D but the process should be similar.

EDIT: ah, as opposed to what Steven did I drew the first 3 circles at the start of the straight portion of my straight plus curved vector.

Steven
copy-along-curve.png

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

I do the same. I have tried it with assigning the number of copies and evenly spacing the copies at a set distance. Same result. All my circles/holes are placed on the one line.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Can you post a screenshot of what you are getting? You can using the "snipping tool" if you are running Windows 10.

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

Sorry for the delay. I'm a Mac guy. Had to do some research before I could snip!
One before and one after
Attachments
Snip 1.PNG
Snip 2.PNG
Snip 2.PNG (1.81 KiB) Viewed 3062 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Ah. That's better. Although I'd hoped for the inclusion of the copy along curve dialogue box as in my screenshot.

The attached shows three tries at this:
  • The top one is as in your example where the three circles are at the start of the arc.
  • The middle one shows moving those three circles off to the side.
  • The bottom one shows moving those three circles off to the side and rotating them 90 degree as per gregk's (and Steve Nelson's) post.
Steven
rotated-copy-along-curve.png

theslaz

Post by theslaz »

That bottom one did it! I'll let everyone know once I'm done. The crib board I'm designing has 1061 holes and includes 13 curved vectors. Is called Crib Wars. Picture is attached.
Attachments
Crib wars.jpg