Saving toolpaths that require a tool change?

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
ElliotandNolan
Model of CNC Machine: not chosen yet

Saving toolpaths that require a tool change?

Post by ElliotandNolan »

I've been using my CNC for a while now and there's something I'd like to be able to do but don't know how to. I want to be able to process several sheets as one job, but some of them require a different tool. I've learned how to make a toolpath template and I've associated my layers so having loaded in a large job I can get all the toolpaths done automatically, which is great.

Now what I would like to be able to do is to have Mach3 run the toolpaths for each sheet (without me having to load each one independently) and then tell me when it wants me to change the tool, and despite having looked at videos and read some stuff I'm not seeing how to do that. Is it even possible? Do I need to adopt a different approach?

All help gratefully received.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Saving toolpaths that require a tool change?

Post by Adrian »

Yes you can do that. You need to select a Mach3 post processor with ATC in the name and make sure that Mach3 is configured for manual tool changes. I don't use Mach3 myself so I'm not sure what's involved other than it uses the M6 macro but it's 100% possible as I do it all the time with my ShopBot and I know many others who have posted on the forum who have it working.

ElliotandNolan
Model of CNC Machine: not chosen yet

Re: Saving toolpaths that require a tool change?

Post by ElliotandNolan »

Thanks Adrian.