X height and XY Datum issue

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
EyeQ45
Model of CNC Machine: Oozenest Open Build

X height and XY Datum issue

Post by EyeQ45 »

Hi, can someone help me here?

I'm trying to cut some star shapes out of 8mm ply, my XY datum is set to top left hand corner or the opposite corner to home xyz. I've XYZ probed the corner but for some reason even though I've set the material depth to 8mm it's out by about 20mm too high.

Also instead of starting the cut from the top left hand corner it moves across on the other side of the wood to the top right hand corner. So for instant I want the pattern to start around the top left(XYZ Datum probed corner) and it starts to cut to the opposite top right hand corner.

Is this something anyone has come across?

I've tried attaching the file bit it's too large for the forum to accept, so I've attached a screen shot of what I'm aiming to do, I've put a red square where it starts to run and highlighted the XY.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

I'm using an Oooznest CNC with a Duet 2 controller

Cheers Phil
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: X height and XY Datum issue

Post by Adrian »

Assuming you're using the correct post processor it sounds like you have something messed up within your control software.

As long as the XYZ are set to the same places physically as you have them in Cut2D then it should all work fine.

Once you've set the XYZ on your machine try using the control software to tell the machine to move away from 0 and then back. If it doesn't move back to the same place it was when you set it then there's your problem.

The only thing it could be in Cut2D is if you have stray toolpath or vector that you haven't spotted but that should show up in the preview.

EyeQ45

Post by EyeQ45 »

Thanks Adrian, this is odd as the programme I ran before on a different project ran fine? Datum and probed without a problem. I'll get in touch with Ooznest see what they think.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

EyeQ45 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:18 pm
I'll get in touch with Ooznest see what they think.
Before that you will try what Adrian suggested re: zeroing; moving away; trying to return to zero?

EyeQ45

Post by EyeQ45 »

I decided to move the work piece in by 100mm or so as I was getting an error code 'outside of work limits'. So I re-probed xyz, started the programme, only for it to start the cut back outside of the work zero?? I've attached a jpeg showing the issue. I'm on the forum with Duet and talking to Ooznest.
Layout.jpg
I can only assume I've mucked up somewhere as it was working great on my previous job??

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Did you do the test to see that the XYZ probe is working properly? It's the first thing I would check to make sure that where you think you've set XYZ zero is actually where it really is set.

EyeQ45

Post by EyeQ45 »

Yes it's fine. When it went 'off piste' I killed the programme which once I had reset, it which prompts you to rehome, again which I did. I then sent it back to work place zero and it returned bang onto where it started.

EyeQ45

Post by EyeQ45 »

As I suspected human error on my part! Datum was correct, my mind orientation was incorrect.

Apologies for taking up the time of those who replied.

Cheers

Phil