Tool path editing

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
oklared
Model of CNC Machine: Avid

Tool path editing

Post by oklared »

Is it possible to edit the tool path G codes to prevent returning to origin each time a path is completed?
My parts have many features that can be cut without a tool change. The difference between them being the depth of cut and/or how the feature is being cut, i.e., pocket, drill or profile. There appears to be a lot of wasted motion going back to origin after each path is completed.
I say "appears to be" since I'm still working with the trial version.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Tool path editing

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The post processor can be edited so it doesn't go to Home first.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The preview looks like each toolpath starts at the home position. But that's just so the software doesn't need to examine the following or preceding toolpath to see if it has the same cutter so that it doesn't need to display the move from home on the 3D view.

Try this. Create two toolpaths with same cutter. Go into preview. Select each of those toolpath (make check mark beside them). Move the speed slider all the way to the left (slowest), Do a preview visible.

The second toolpath should follow from the end of the 1st toolpath. If you were to save both those toolpaths to one g-code file to send to your machine it shouldn't return to home between the two toolpaths.

oklared
Model of CNC Machine: Avid

Post by oklared »

After a session of in-depth reading and experimenting, it appears that the "Create Merged Tool Path" function is the way to go.
It easily creates one new tool path from several that share a common tool and eliminates returning to origin except for a tool change.
There are lots of gems in this software. One just has to dig them out. :D