Carving Stars for flags

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
RBwoodworks
Model of CNC Machine: X Carve 1000

Carving Stars for flags

Post by RBwoodworks »

I'm having problems making the Vectric software carve the 1" stars out completely with a 90* bit. It doesn't seem to matter the path or the depth it still leaves material behind in the center of the star. If I make the same size star in Easel and cut at say .016" it will cut completely clean and leave no material in the middle and may even leave a flat spot there if I go too deep. I know I must be missing something to get the software to carve properly but haven't found it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Carving Stars for flags

Post by Adrian »

Which toolpath are you using? My guess would be the issue is with the stepover.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

RBwoodworks wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:02 pm
I'm having problems making the Vectric software carve the 1" stars out completely with a 90* bit. It doesn't seem to matter the path or the depth it still leaves material behind in the center of the star. If I make the same size star in Easel and cut at say .016" it will cut completely clean and leave no material in the middle and may even leave a flat spot there if I go too deep. I know I must be missing something to get the software to carve properly but haven't found it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can you post pictures and your CRV file?
Thanks,
Jim

RBwoodworks

Post by RBwoodworks »

Some reason it won't let me add the gcode for the stars. I get an error message each time I try. If you shoot me a email I can send the stuff to you that way it that's ok. gpa612010@live.com

I went back and looked again and it's telling me that the files are invalid file extensions not proper gcodes even though I just ran them.?
Attachments
Test Star Carve Vectric.crv
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by RBwoodworks on Sat May 16, 2020 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

RBwoodworks

Post by RBwoodworks »

Adrian wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm
Which toolpath are you using? My guess would be the issue is with the stepover.
I've tried all three, On is the best but still leaves material in the middle, outside looks horrible and inside almost just makes a hole. I know it's me but just can't figure out what it is I'm missing when Easel does it with no messing around. You get a perfect cut star everytime with Easel. I ran one tonight just to see how it actually carves and it starts in the middle and cuts the center out first then starts carving the points. There has to something in the gcode to make it carve that way. I'm not knowledgeable enough about the code to figure that out.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'm guessing easel does something like a v-carve toolpath. That isn't available in Cut2D. Only in VCarve and Aspire.

There may be a way of doing it with just the toolpaths that Cut2D has but I've never experimented as I have VCarve and Aspire.

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

Your strategy of using a profile toolpath to accomplish the desired results will require setting the depth of cut to about .22". I get the desired results with that setting. I also get the desired results with a 120 degree 1.5" V-bit set at .16". Remember, profiling is not an actual "V-carving" strategy.

Bill

RBwoodworks

Post by RBwoodworks »

Adrian wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 am
I'm guessing easel does something like a v-carve toolpath. That isn't available in Cut2D. Only in VCarve and Aspire.

There may be a way of doing it with just the toolpaths that Cut2D has but I've never experimented as I have VCarve and Aspire.
I think you have probably hit on the problem. Not sure why the support team didn't mention this? I'm upgrading to Vcarve in a month or so, so will keep using Easel until then to do the star carvings. I appreciate all the input here. Lots of knowledge floating around here.