Alignment Issue

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
metalli445
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 2

Alignment Issue

Post by metalli445 »

Hello,

I posted a short video of the issue I'm having below. I first created a square, drew two circles in the top corners and trimmed the corners to give me a radius. I imported vectors of a crab I have. I don't have a problem centering the crab within my border but I want to draw a line .75" from the bottom and center the crab within this new space. Hopefully I explain it better in the video and you can see what I'm trying to achieve. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Alignment Issue

Post by FixitMike »

Just move the crab up 3/8" from being centered within the border.

Side note: You cannot join two vectors in a T joint. You have to cut the crossing vector and then join the leg to one side. A vector can only have two ends (open vector) or zero ends (a closed vector). A T, if possible, would produce a vector with 1 or 3 ends. And if a toolpath were cutting along the vector, it wouldn't know which way to go when it came to the junction.
Last edited by FixitMike on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

One way (out of many which is often the way) is to draw a temporary box the height of the top part and centre in that. It's already horizontally aligned so you only need to click the last icon on the Align to Selection/Center row. You don't need to click the Inside Last Vector at all. That's only used for the two icons underneath when you want to space multiple selections together rather than aligning.

You can't join an open vector to a closed vector which is why that's not working for you.

Also the white icons at the top are for aligning in the material rather than within the selected vector. I noticed you clicked that a couple of times.

Another way to do it (and the way I would do it) as you've already aligned to the major shape is to select the crab, press M to bring up the move dialog, click the relative box and type 0.375 in the Y box and press Apply.

metalli445
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 2

Post by metalli445 »

FixItMike and Adrian,

Thank you both for your responses. It was very helpful.

Take Care,
Pat