Material Management?

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Ken Alexander`
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu CNC Router 3018-MX3

Material Management?

Post by Ken Alexander` »

I just saw that there is a material database in addition to a tool database. The material database has a large list of different woods (and metals and other materials, but I didn't look that closely). I realize the choice of material will affect how my router cuts. Several problems:

1. I can't make my way back to that lengthy list of materials. I'm curious to know what the differences are between the different types, for example plain Maple and Canadian Maple. In the short time I was there I did not see a way to view that kind of information. How/where can I go to have another look at those materials?

2. Eventually, I will be cutting a lot of carbon fiber. I don't recall seeing it in the materials database, so I went to Toolpaths | Tool Database - Material, which opens a dialog box and lets me enter the words "Carbon Fiber"....but it doesn't allow me to enter any of the characteristics of the material! So, what use is it?

Once again, any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Ken

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Material Management?

Post by Adrian »

There aren't any material characteristics so you're not missing anything. It's not a database, it's just a list of materials that makes the tool database far easier to setup and manage.

This video explains how it works:- https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ral_Topics

Ken Alexander`
Model of CNC Machine: Genmitsu CNC Router 3018-MX3

Re: Material Management?

Post by Ken Alexander` »

Thanks Adrian, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I see now that it's an organizational aid, so that I can tailor the characteristics myself to different materials as I learn about them. I see the other list of different woods is just a visualization thing when previewing toolpaths. I just keep it at plain grey.

Thanks again for your help!

Ken
Adrian wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:33 am
There aren't any material characteristics so you're not missing anything. It's not a database, it's just a list of materials that makes the tool database far easier to setup and manage.

This video explains how it works:- https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ral_Topics