Spindle control on Stepcraft D420 with UCCNC controller

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Martingchapman
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft D420

Spindle control on Stepcraft D420 with UCCNC controller

Post by Martingchapman »

I have a Stepcraft D420 machine with the UCCNC controller.
I have recently bought a relay to turn the spindle power on/off under control of the Stepcraft machine.
As I understand it GCode command M03 should turn the spindle on clockwise and command M05 should turn it off again.

I have checked the .txt file produced by Cut2d but the M03 and M05 commands do not appear anywhere in file.

I am using the "Stepcraft UCCNC Arcs(mm)(*.txt)" post processor to save the toolpaths.

Can anyone explain how I get Cut2d to include the M03 and M05 commands in the .txt file?

Thanks - Martin.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Spindle control on Stepcraft D420 with UCCNC controller

Post by Adrian »

Look on the Help menu in Cut2D. There is a guide to editing Post Processors there which will tell you what you need to know.

It's different on my machine but I wouldn't be so sure that M03 and M05 will work "straight out of the box". I would have thought you would need to set them up somewhere to link to the corresponding control circuit.

Martingchapman

Post by Martingchapman »

@Adrian,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Will take a look at the guide as you suggest.

I have done some further searching through a .txt file from a project that has two simple toolpaths.
In the file is an M06 then the tool id, then an M03 , then the first toolpath name, then then it runs the toolpath.
Then there is another M03, then the second toolpath name, then it runs the second toolpath, then an M09, then an M30.
The file does not contain an M05 command anywhere.

Thanks for the tip re not working out of the box, this is correct I needed to enable the relay on/off output pin in UCCNC.

Martingchapman

Post by Martingchapman »

Got round to testing this and it works.
The spindle turns on with the first M03 in the .txt file and then turns off with the M30 which is on the last but one line.

So all solved.