Inlay Question

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Robert Dunn
Model of CNC Machine: Sherline 2010

Inlay Question

Post by Robert Dunn »

I am trying to inlay a simple circle into a piece. The inlay is 0.5 mm thick, and the parent piece is 1.3 mm thick. When I specify materials for the project it will only allow one thickness for both the inlay and the parent piece, either 0.5 or 1.3 mm. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Bob

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Inlay Question

Post by FixitMike »

Nothing wrong. I would use the thickness of the thicker material for both. And set Z0 at the top of the material. The previews won't show the thinner piece cut through.

Note: you don't need to use the Inlay toolpath to cut a simple circle inlay. Use the pocket toolpath with a (negative) allowance for the hole, and Profile on the outside for the inlay.

The cutting depths are what you set for the each toolpath. When you set up the toolpaths, just be sure the total cut depth is not more than the actual material thickness, or if it is, use a spoilboard underneath.

Or, if it bothers you to lie about the material thickness, copy the file and set the material thickness to suit the one you use for each piece. Of course, this can get difficult if you make later changes to the design.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: Inlay Question

Post by Bob Reda »

using the inlay feature the depth would be for the depth of the female part, When you cut out the male piece you can allow a couple of hdrd's clearance. So if the material to be inlayed is.5mm the the depth of cut in the female part will be 0.5mm
Hope that makes sense.

Bob