Tribute to Mom

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Tribute to Mom

Post by MikeUSNRet »

It has been a while since there has been a new post so......

Here's a Lithopane I did as a tribute to my mom whom passed away 5 years ago from cancer.

I found a photo that was taken of her when she was around 17 yrs old I think and set it up into PhotoVCarve and then imported it into Aspire.
I found the poem on this forum some time ago I believe, but the words fit her perfectly so did the text in Aspire as well.

Frame is just a simple Walnut box that has white led's around it's perimiter inside.

Litho settings:

.25 Champagne White Corian
told PVC it was .21
Selected .031 ballnose with a max cut depth of .20 at 315 deg with X0Y0 at lower left corner and Z0 just at the tope surface.
cut at 50ipm with a .25 dia 30 deg vcarve bit.
Cut time just a bit over 5 hours

Mike
Attachments
momlight.jpg
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005

Penman
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot B 32 Alpha

Re: Tribute to Mom

Post by Penman »

Hi Mike,

thanks for posting, and the information. Great piece of work. I have wanted to do a litho myself for some time. Have not done one yet but yours has certainly revived my interest. Thank you.

Roger.

RoboCNC
Model of CNC Machine: RoboCNC X1 Router / Optimum BF20L

Post by RoboCNC »

Nice work Mike...

But i think you have to check your leadscrew pitch settings.
Maybe its my eyes, but if not it seems the photo is not rectangular ...

I had the same problem some time ago, this was because the steps/inch where a really small amount of...
this way as the tool does a litho, it has to go back and forward a lot of times, and the result is a parallelogram shape (don't know the correct English word)

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

RoboCNC wrote:Nice work Mike...

I had the same problem some time ago, this was because the steps/inch where a really small amount of...
this way as the tool does a litho, it has to go back and forward a lot of times, and the result is a parallelogram shape (don't know the correct English word)
Just noticed your post as i dont get on everyday, but the only leadscrew on my CNC is the Z-axis. X and Y are sprocket/chain driven. may have to slip one of the X axis chains just a bit to get it inline with the opposing side.

Mike
1982 - 2005

RoboCNC

Post by RoboCNC »

Well its at least worth testing it indeed...., but further more its a great Tribute...

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

RoboCNC wrote:Nice work Mike...

did some looking at the litho this evening and the problem is definitely in the Y-Axis, so not sure where to go or what needs to be done at this point with that chain drive. It's starting out as you notices as an example with the upper left at X0 Y6.68 and gradually increases in Y where the The upper right is at X5 Y7.

hmm perplexing as to why Y0 remains constant along X yet Y increases along X at the top.
1982 - 2005

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

MikeUSNRet wrote:
did some looking at the litho this evening and the problem is definitely in the Y-Axis, so not sure where to go or what needs to be done at this point with that chain drive. It's starting out as you notices as an example with the upper left at X0 Y6.68 and gradually increases in Y where the The upper right is at X5 Y7.

hmm perplexing as to why Y0 remains constant along X yet Y increases along X at the top.
Mike, if the X chains are pulling the two gantry sides at slightly different rates, it could be racking the gantry and messing with the Y. Do you have one motor for both sides, or dual motors? Also, if the two X chains are not tensioned equally then the two sides would have different calibrations, again leading to racking. 0.32" seems like a lot to lose, but it amounts to about 1 unit of a #25 chain.
Cheers!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

PaulRowntree wrote:
MikeUSNRet wrote:

Mike, if the X chains are pulling the two gantry sides at slightly different rates, it could be racking the gantry and messing with the Y. Do you have one motor for both sides, or dual motors? Also, if the two X chains are not tensioned equally then the two sides would have different calibrations, again leading to racking. 0.32" seems like a lot to lose, but it amounts to about 1 unit of a #25 chain.
Cheers!
Am using dual motors and #25 chain.
1982 - 2005

RoboCNC

Post by RoboCNC »

Why are you sure its in the Y axis...? because the picture is shifted in that direction?
If so, thats does not have to mean its in the Y axis... because you probably used a 45degree angle attack on the litho...

I know because i had the same problem, and did make the same mistake by thinking it must be in the Y axis.

If you want to make sure...., do 2 new litho's (in wood for instance) and take a 0degree raster, and a 90degree raster...

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

RoboCNC wrote:Why are you sure its in the Y axis...? because the picture is shifted in that direction?
If so, thats does not have to mean its in the Y axis... because you probably used a 45degree angle attack on the litho...

I know because i had the same problem, and did make the same mistake by thinking it must be in the Y axis.

If you want to make sure...., do 2 new litho's (in wood for instance) and take a 0degree raster, and a 90degree raster...
my X0Y0Z0 was in the lower left corner and angle was cut at 315 deg (-45).

It would appear that it is Y axis that is gaining steps along X, but I do see how the culprit could be in X with the gantry twisting slightly due to force on the bit during the cut.

next will be determining how to correct the error.
1982 - 2005

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Mike,

Very well done! Isn't it funny how our Moms can continue to inspire. :)
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/