Son and girlfriend

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Son and girlfriend

Post by woody53 »

Paige and Stuart.jpg
Did this yesterday, has been a bit since I did a lithopane. Will make the box today.

Dave

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Son and girlfriend

Post by gkas »

It came out nice...

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

woody53 wrote:
Paige and Stuart.jpg
Did this yesterday, has been a bit since I did a lithopane. Will make the box today.

Dave

Wow! that is really good. I had to look several times. That is the wood carve, correct? And then you said you will make the box later. Will that be the Lid of the box? Sure would like to see the end result. I only have Vcarve desktop, which v10 has the toolpath option with V bits.. but this project sure is making me want to splurge for the photocarve version. Thanks for sharing.

woody53
Vectric Wizard

Post by woody53 »

No Ed. Its done with the full PhotoVcarve version. Used a 1/32 tapered ballnose cut .130 deep in Corian , 100 ipm. Looks like all the others I've done. Thanks for looking.

Dave

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

ezurick wrote: Wow! that is really good. I had to look several times. That is the wood carve, correct? And then you said you will make the box later. Will that be the Lid of the box? Sure would like to see the end result. I only have Vcarve desktop, which v10 has the toolpath option with V bits.. but this project sure is making me want to splurge for the photocarve version. Thanks for sharing.
Ed, it is not a wood carve. A lithophane is made of a translucent material like Corian and then back lit. The box Dave is referring to is a light box to display the image by back lighting it.
In the VCarve gallery section of the forum Bob Jr. displayed a lithophane he created using the VCarve V10 version of Photo VCarve that you have. The thread is called "In case you were wondering" and in it he did share his settings.

With that said, the stand alone version of Photo VCarve does have the benefit of having a diverse tool data base and is a bit handier to use in my opinion.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Thanks GEdward for the detailed explanation. I can't grasp in my head how a back light can go through Corian (basically counter top material, correct). SO I would love to see the final result.

woody53
Vectric Wizard

Post by woody53 »

Ed, you did see the final result in my first post. The litho is backlit in the photo. It is 1/4 inch corian cut .130 thousands deep. Years ago I made a few a week to give away or sell. Then other things came along.

Dave

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ed,

Check out the following thread. It contains a lot of details about lithophanes and methods of lighting, etc.

https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php ... sa#p218196
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

mtylerfl wrote:Ed,

Check out the following thread. It contains a lot of details about lithophanes and methods of lighting, etc.

https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php ... sa#p218196

Thanks Michael. I have company over for the weekend, so I'll check it out after they depart.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

ezurick wrote:Thanks GEdward for the detailed explanation. I can't grasp in my head how a back light can go through Corian (basically counter top material, correct). SO I would love to see the final result.
Here is a litho as it is without a backlight, and being held up to a light. The deeper it is cut, the more light will shine through. You can see the guitarists arm and hair, which are black, are barely cut at all, while the white areas like the guitar are cut deep - Deepest of all looks like the reflection on the guitar right above his hand or maybe the face, they are literally almost all the way through and hence are the brightest. If it was not cut at all, no light would be shining through at all, like the entire bottom right corner [blanks are usually .25 thick] The box is just an easy way to create some light on demand, usually with LEDS and a remote, and also gives it somewhat of a frame.

Nice work BTW OP.
Attachments
unlit
unlit
lit
lit
Religious litho with box lit
Religious litho with box lit
Inside of box
Inside of box
Religious litho with box unlit
Religious litho with box unlit
Doug

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Xray, your work looks awesome !
Scott T

@scottscnc

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

scotttarnor wrote:Xray, your work looks awesome !
Thanks man, just a few examples to give some perspective for those not too familiar with the process, don't want to put the OP in the shade, pics are usually better than words - With the right techniques and tooling [and a fair amount of time], great detail is possible.
Doug

woody53
Vectric Wizard

Post by woody53 »

Paige and Stu box.jpg
Got the box done. Hard to take a good pic with litho lit. Looks Ok.

Dave