Eagle picture

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
Jhodge76
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Eagle picture

Post by Jhodge76 »

Hi,

My parents are part of a local arts council and they have art shows about once a month. So I started taking their photographs that they enter and doing a version in wood with PVC. Here's my mother's eagle and my version in wood.
Attachments
36190.jpeg
36192.jpeg

Jhodge76

Re: Eagle picture

Post by Jhodge76 »

And here is one of my father's photographs and my version in wood. (I wish I took better pictures of the pictures lol)
Attachments
36198.jpeg
36196.jpeg

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Don't tell your parents, but I like your wood versions better - the flower is spectacular!
Maker of sawdust

Jhodge76

Post by Jhodge76 »

Thank you very much!

BessieHunter
Model of CNC Machine: NWA Shark II

Post by BessieHunter »

Can you give the specifics on how you got PVC to do your project. As many details as possible would be greatly appreciated. I have had PVC for over 5 years and am struggling to get anything to turn out right. Your two projects are what I am trying to accomplish.

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Yes those are very nice. Nice and clean with no back ground clutter. How are you going to finish flower?

Jhodge76

Post by Jhodge76 »

Hi,

I am just kinda getting the hang of it or at least figuring out different things with PVC. The first thing that I do is setting the background color, if the object I want to focus on is dark then I make the background white and black if it is a brightly colored object. I believe PVC works off the level of light, so the darkest parts cut the deepest, I use the invert light toggle if the background is white. So you can edit your picture with a program like paint.net to lighten or darken any areas you want to raise or lower when you cut them. It's just as easy to make the picture a black and white photo and edit it after then. Most of the time I set the line spacing 10% but for bigger pictures I might go 14%. I almost always use a .125 inch ball nose, but that is based on the size of the project. If I was going to do the flower smaller I would use a smaller ball nose. I also set the cut depth at .25 inch for these two but I usually play around and see what depth I can get the most detail with or which looks best. The preview in PVC and Vcarve is really spot on.

For the finish on the flower I went with a clear polycrylic to keep the color of the wood. I haven't been wood working very long and I am not very good at putting on finishes on yet, so I was playing it safe lol.

I hope this helps!

Jonathan

BessieHunter
Model of CNC Machine: NWA Shark II

Post by BessieHunter »

Thank you, that helps!