Some litho nightlight examples

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Some litho nightlight examples

Post by GEdward »

I thought I would share some of my litho nightlight works. My goal is to get potential clients to realize that these are just examples and that I can create unique custom lithos from their photo or artwork. I find it much more rewarding to create one off works. The problem I am having is in trying to kindle their imagination. Any suggestions?

G Edward
Attachments
WP_20170502_039a.jpg
WP_20170502_008a.jpg
WP_20170716_008a.jpg
WP_20170715_004a.jpg

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: Some litho nightlight examples

Post by dwilli9013 »

Beautiful examples. Thank you for sharing those.
Might I ask what material you are using?
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

I am using candlestone. One variable that can change the complexion of the work dramatically is the light bulb. I have found that there are a variety of 1/2 watt led offerings. You can get color temperatures ranging from 2700 K to 5600 K.

G Edward

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

GEdward wrote:I am using candlestone. One variable that can change the complexion of the work dramatically is the light bulb. I have found that there are a variety of 1/2 watt led offerings. You can get color temperatures ranging from 2700 K to 5600 K.

G Edward
Thank you. Awesome work there.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Beautiful work. What bit are you using to carve them?

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

I use a .25 mm radius tapered ball end mill.

Scottybo99
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro

Post by Scottybo99 »

How are you mounting the litho to the light and what size are they ? Great work my granddaughter would love them

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

They are 3 1/2 X 4 1/4 edge to edge. I get them from candlestonegifts.com as a kit or as individual components. The panels are made to snap into the nightlight with a press fit so there is no mounting technique so to speak. They come in vertical or horizontal configurations and the plug swivels 360 degrees so they can be oriented in position.

G Edward

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

Nice work. I have wanted to lithos for a while but couldn't find material for making them. Thanks for the website information. I'll be ordering some materials soon and trying my hand at creating some.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Post by nicksilva »

Wonderful looking work!
thank you for the link to the store.
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

The nightlight kits I use are pretty slick but the two sided tape I use to hold the panels down to machine them is a pain in the butt. So I decided to try making a vacuum hold down. I designed a model for a vacuum cell to print on my 3D printer, bought an inexpensive vacuum pump, bought some fittings and tubing and went to work. It is a small vacuum pump capable of 3.5 cfm but it is able to achieve -22 inches of mercury on the panel. That translates to 92 lbs. of total hold down force. I designed the cell with a couple of reference walls outside of the 0 ring so that once the cell is dialed in it is just a matter of placing the panel against the reference walls, turning on the vacuum pump and hitting cycle start. The whole process of swapping out a part takes less than 15 seconds.
The main benefits to using a vacuum pump instead of a vacuum venturi are many. I am getting by with a 1/4 HP vac. pump where as even a small venturi would require a 1 HP compressor. The vac. pump is fairly quiet and air compressors not so much. And in my case the vac. pump set up is much cheaper than buying an air compressor and venturi. The design uses two button head screws that shoulder against o-rings to fasten the cell to the table internally. That makes for a clean set up with no clamping hardware getting in the way of a vac foot.
The main drawback, and it always seems there is one of those, is that the deeper the vacuum the pump achieves, the more fine pump oil vapor that it produces. I will just have to 3D print a filter to take care of that I guess.
I am in the process of designing other vacuum cells for use with larger lithophane projects and to hold down acrylic edge lit projects as well. I don't think I have enough vacuum capacity for holding wood projects down as wood is likely to porous. That won't stop me from checking it out though. Perhaps is I seal or paint the back side of the wood it might work.
In the photo that shows the machine actually cutting the lithophane; yes I am cutting the finished product in one pass using a .25 mm radius tapered ball end mill.
Attachments
WP_20171212_006a.jpg
WP_20171221_003a (2).jpg
WP_20171222_010a (2).jpg

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Awesome idea and exquisite execution. Just now start to set up my vacuum clamp blocks with a small pump. Hope my results match yours. Thanks for sharing.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

What size ball mill? I think you said .25 mm now that I am posting can't go back. Smallest one I have ran was .062 (I think) pretty hard to find. .25mm comes out .01 of an inch. Ok I found out those tiny little milling cutters are expensive!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Ok I found out those tiny little milling cutters are expensive!
Not really. A 4 piece set runs UD$18.80 on eBay as of 16-Jan-2018
rsz_smallbits.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Ok I found out those tiny little milling cutters are expensive!
Not really. A 4 piece set runs UD$18.80 on eBay as of 16-Jan-2018
rsz_smallbits.jpg
Thank you, I decided I did not want to wait for a epack from China but found some of the same brand and size .25 mm, a 2 pack for $14 on Amazon Prime :D