My First Cut3D cut

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
danmst3k

My First Cut3D cut

Post by danmst3k »

Hi all, I thought I'd share my first cut with guys. It's kind of a glorified test. I'm thinking of making an electric guitar body eventually but I though I'd try a smaller version first. It's only 7 inches long and 4.5 inches across. I designed and modeled it in Lightwave (I was very happy to learn the Cut3D can read a Lightwave file!!!) very quickly just to have something to try and cut. The wood is a scrap piece of pine I had laying around. This is a 2 sided cut and I used a 1/4 inch endmill for the rough pass and a 1/8 inch ball end mill for the finish. For the first attempt I used .01 inch for the crossover but on this one I used .03 inch. The .01 inch was definitly a lot smoother (obviously). I wound up using a RotoZip for the cutter since I had one already and there is the standard 1/4 inch collet (which it comes with) and you can get an 1/8 inch collet. My mill is home made and the bed is 36"x21". Thanks for a great product!!!

Dan
Attachments
IMG_1909_1024.jpg
IMG_1912_1024.jpg
IMG_1917_1024.jpg
CNC_05.jpg

wrench
Vectric Apprentice

Re: My First Cut3D cut

Post by wrench »

Now, That is way cool! You could use this for a kids play guitar now that your ready for a full scale model.

Keep us up to date as I for one, and most likely a few others have the same idea in mind.(Making a Guitar)

Merry Christmas

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

SWEET! :) Once upon a time I tried to learn to play guitar, but it never took. I don't think my fingers were long/flexible enough. :(

Khalid
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Khalid »

Dan.. Its simply astounding job u did..... I am really happy and feel fresh to see the smoothness and beauty of ur guitar...

Next time i expect a short video how u did double side machining?.... especially when u tip over the part..

Regards

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Hey Dan,

Whoa, sweet!

You are doing what is one of my my projects, on my to do list!

I am making a mini guitar for the Game, Guitar Hero!

Very sweet.
Love your homemade machine too!

Post more!!!!

danmst3k

Post by danmst3k »

Hey thanks guys for all the kind words. Grease, I was thinking the same thing about the guitar hero guitar. It'd be cool to have a real wooden guitar instead of the cheesy plastic one it comes with. I'll have to add that to my ever increasing list of things to do. I have to give a shoutout to buildyourcnc.com. I learned a lot from that site and I don't think I would've built my own cnc machine if I hadn't come across it. There is a ton of info and many many videos for every step that it takes to build a cnc machine. But, there's really no plans so I basically designed my own from the information. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Dan

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Awesome. Your guitar is way above average for a first 3D cut.

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Super cool! post more the further you get!!!

Nick

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Dan,

Awesome job on the CNC router and the guitar body. I am currently gathering the parts for my first CNC router and can only hope things turn out as well as your build. It is very encouraging to see someones finished build and projects made with it. Thanks for posting your info and pictures!
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

pomz23

Post by pomz23 »

why type of tooling did you use for this?