My first flop with cut3D

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
rcjarvis
Vectric Apprentice

My first flop with cut3D

Post by rcjarvis »

Well if you ever wondered if people were truly posting there real first job with cut 3D, wonder no more!! look at those: You can look at the cut 3D file (zipped) I attached and tell me where I went wrong.

Remember this is a large 18X36 inche piece.

I don't want to waste machine time, so I went with a 1.5" flat tool for roughing(37 minutes) and a .75" ballnose for finishing (2.5 hours). The preview in cut 3D was perfect, but the result is far from that. Gotta tell you I usually do better with a blender on a 5" grinder in 35 minutes!!! I just happen to have a 5' X 10' cnc router with a dust collector, wich won't mind the dust and grime. I just have to figure out how to make it work right !!!

I keep on learning...
Attachments
DSC01171.JPG
DSC01174.JPG
Cornet03.zip
(569.38 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Don't throw it away, carve it !!!!
www.enseignesbp.com

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Dan,

It looks ike the Z0 setting for the roughing is lower than the setting for the finishing toolpath.

The image below looks very similar to what you are seeing on the machine. This was created by calculating toolpaths for your model (I guessed at a 0.5" Roughing Step Down). then saving the Cut3D File and importing this into VCarve Pro where the Start Depth for the Roughing toolpath was moved to cut lower into the material.

This is done using the Preview option in VCarve Pro,

Importing the Cut3D file into VCarve Pro
Holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift and double clicking on the Roughing toolpath - to edit it

Change the Start Dept from 0 to 0.1"

This drops the already calculated toolpath by 0.1" into the material

Preview the Roughing and Finishing toolpaths and you should see a very similar result?

I hope this makes sense?

After running the Roughing toolpath check that Z0 is atill on the material surface. Then do the same with the Finishing toolpath

Tony
Attachments
VCarvePro_Corneto.zip
(501.94 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Corneto.jpg

rcjarvis
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rcjarvis »

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply. I sought Paco's wisdom this afternoon, when I looked at the file it seemed that I mistakenly programmed the file for a .375 ballnose and used a .75 on the actual job. (I usually name my files in vcarve like this: 1 v-120 1,5D or 2 Ballnose 250 etc. But in Cut 3D the default is :Roughing and finishing. I will now rename them in windows to rule out that possibility of mistake)

I went the other way around Tony, I ran the file in cut 3D as if the material was 1,4 instead of 1,5" so I made sure to use the.75 Ballnose this time and here's what I get: (2nd pic)

It is probably not deep enough to get the differential from the roughing pass! I will try tomorrow morning to do as you mention. I will mesur the gap between roughing and finishing and reprogram acordingly.
The first picture is a capture of the result I should get according to the Cut 3D preview. I did make sure to get an equal Z0 though... maybe I did not set the z0 in mach 3???

I'm most certainly overworked :?
Attachments
Capturer.JPG
DSC01175.JPG
www.enseignesbp.com

rcjarvis
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rcjarvis »

Oh my god... Ok look an find the mistak, I believe it is righ on this page !!!

I did not enter the values right when I created the 1.5" endmill in cut 3D

What do you think ?

Ok, I do need rest :oops:
Attachments
Capturer2.JPG
www.enseignesbp.com

rcjarvis
Vectric Apprentice

Solved !

Post by rcjarvis »

This morning, I went to the shop and cut the cone with the 1.5" tool set at 1.5" and here's how it came out. I can deal with the bumps from the finishing cut since this piece will be installed 20 ft from the ground.
Here are the pics of the end result:

Thanks to Tony and Paco, and , humility...
Attachments
DSC01182.JPG
DSC01180.JPG
www.enseignesbp.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I did not enter the values right when I created the 1.5" endmill
Been there, done that, got the scrap pieces to prove it too. :oops:
Attachments
Doh!
Doh!

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

At least you saved that piece of HDU! :wink: I thought it was blue insulation foam at first... :roll:

rcjarvis
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rcjarvis »

Paco, I did not save the hdu!!! It was cut too deep to recover !!
Anyways, I, we got the problem solved and it should not reoccur ! I will post pictures of the final sign soon. There is a cartoonish 3D car with kids inside that will all be cut with cut 3D. We are just finishing the cad drawings and begining tests (in blue insulating foam this time !!!).
Dan
www.enseignesbp.com