Machining margins

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
jram
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Machining margins

Post by jram »

Hello,
Could someone steer me in the right direction regarding matching margins? I have made a simple 80mmx 80 mm dish, my material is 120mmx120mm. I am using a 1/4. “ straight bit. I am also using tabs. How do Ikeep the machine from milling all of the extra material outside of the actual piece? If the machine mills all of the surrounding material , then what do the tabs attach to?

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Machining margins

Post by Mike-S »

I don't have Cut 3D, but as no one has answered you, I'll take a stab at it. Select the out line vector of your bowl, then generate your toolpaths. If Cut 3D allows a "zero plane" be sure to use it so you get a smooth top edge at the material surface.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

On tab 3 under "Machining Margins around Model" are you using "Use Model Silhouette"? If not you might want to read up on it.

ttocs
Model of CNC Machine: handibot

Post by ttocs »

I am kind new to this all too to preface anything I say but it sounds like you need to make a boundary around the vector your carving. In the modeling tab highlight the vector listed and then above it look for the "Create vector boundary around selected components". Then when you select the machine tool path select "Model boundary" in the machine limit boundary selection.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

ttocs wrote:In the modeling tab highlight the vector listed and then above it look for the "Create vector boundary around selected components". Then when you select the machine tool path select "Model boundary" in the machine limit boundary selection.
This is not Aspire or V Carve Pro, it is Cut3D.
There is no Modelling Tab or Create Boundary options.
As Steven pointed out, the way to add extra material around the model is as follows.
Select “Use Model Silhouette
Then Under “Machining Margins around Model add the amount of material necessary to add the tabs to.
I hope this helps.
Joz
Attachments
Cut3D.jpg