First Intarsia

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

First Intarsia

Post by grahamshere »

Well I first want to thank cut3d and evrey one on the forum for any help, Tony you have a great piece of software. Ok this is new first try at intarsia on the cnc. I first had to cut every thing with a scroll saw, Its not perfect but hey they first never is. The wood is 1.5 inch thick so cutting with the scroll saw was not easy, didnt have the right blade so squareness was difacult. the I glue all the piecess on some 1/4 in mdf so I had to make a template to center the orcas. The being so thick made some of the the pieces break as some of the pices were milled ove a 1/2 inch so next time ill plane some of the wood down at the places that needs it before cncing .The gaps you see is from my bad cutting. The shaping ran great very little problems, took 1 & a 1/2 hrs to carve, I have a slow machine, I only did the finish cut.next time id like to try and cut every ting on the machine but I have a little whip so not sure how it will come out. also need to get a detail sander thats why its not finished, Tell me what you think. Graham
Attachments
orcas.jpg

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I like it! I can definately see some possibilities for future projects. Great job!!

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Thank you Jason. Yes I think there is no end to the posabilitys with intarsia. think of a logo or sighn or even cabinets, right now im working on a big entertainment unit for a 42" tv. the doors are of a family of orcas all in intarsia. Im also working on 3d intarsia and cut 3d will be perfect for that, I use pattern wizard to make my patterns and silo to make the 3d models. Graham

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

A nother intarsia
Attachments
flower intarsia.jpg

Yohudi

Pretty neat...

Post by Yohudi »

Like it... what else can I say ??

Simple, effective and well executed... shading/grain of the different stock does add something to the job...

Have to try some of this when I get 5 mins...

nice work.. :)

juan
Vectric Apprentice

Post by juan »

Just beautiful, very nice.

Keep them coming :D

Juan

dasch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dasch »

That looks great Graham!
Is it possible to see a bigger pic?

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

here is an otter I did, got more to do, working on an eagle file I bought off vector art 3d, will be my next intarsia. should be very cool. Graham
Attachments
otter intarsia3.jpg

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Very very nice. something else I have to try when my new machine is up and running. :)

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

thanks thk. when I have a few or maybe 10 ill be giving one away for every one to try, pattern and model and show how its done. its not as easy as it looks, for me any way. Graham

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Re: First Intarsia

Post by grahamshere »

Well finally getting back to intarsia, this is James Booth's eagle I believe. made with different shades of cedar and pine, took just over 2hrs to machine, 2' wing span.
Attachments
spread eagle_640x480.JPG

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Graham,

Extremely impressive work!!!

Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing the concept.

Tim

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Thanks Tmerril for the complements . James did a really good job on the eagle model. Turning it into an intarsia was lots of work but I think it will be rewarding, I'm sure ill be doing lots of these eagles. Thank god for cnc routers lol.

Graham

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Very nice indeed! I wish I could take the compliment for the eagle model but it was done by one of our artist's Jules Wittrup who actually works in clay, we scan it and clean the models up for CNC production. She is very talented and I am pleased to say just sent me a bunch of new models to scan. Anyway I did not intend to hi-jack the thread. The 3D intarsia looks excellent and I am pleased the model worked out for it although I can imagine it took some ingenuity - thanks for sharing. Would it be OK to use the image in our gallery or newsletter? If so please email me direct jab(at) carve3d (dot) com.

Cheers,
James

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Cool, thanks for the complement, And tell Jules thanks for making such a cool model. Out of all the intarsia eagles I,ve seen, even from Judy Gale Robert,( reinventer of intarsia plus first women inducted in wood workers hall of fame)I would say that"s the best one, because of all the detail from the model, not because I did it lol. Cool thing is I can do it at any size with out much work. When I finally get Aspire that's when things will heat up, would make thing's so much more easier . Oh I'd be honored if you use the picture, If you need it a bit bigger let me know the size you want.
Thanks again. Graham