66 Ford Cobra Pine Car

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
iacomputerguy
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

66 Ford Cobra Pine Car

Post by iacomputerguy »

My daughter (8) attends AWANA which is a kids club at our church.(Click here to learn more.) They have a Grand Prix, similar to the Scout's Pinewood Derby. Since I have a CNC router now, I thought I'd help her take her car up a notch. Between the use of Google SketchUp and Cut3D we were able to make an old Ford Cobra which was pretty close to scale with the real thing. I did have to squish it a bit in order to fit in the rules. She was very proud. (OK dad may have been a bit too involved this year. She did have lots of fun working together with me though.)
2014 AWANA Grand Prix Car
2014 AWANA Grand Prix Car

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: 66 Ford Cobra Pine Car

Post by rscrawford »

That's pretty awesome!!
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

No sorry to me that's just cheating :shock:

Mind you it is pretty cool :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Dad was never very good at that sort of stuff, if we had been working on a project together to build something I would have had to take the lead lol

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

Funny you should post this. A co-worker asked if I'd rough cut his son's pine wood derby car, just this morning. He'd be surprised if I came back with a rough cut car and something like this.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Maybe the rules are changing. I just did my nephew's son a corvette. I didn't spend as much time so it wasn't as cool as this Cobra. Nice Job.

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Post by kp91 »

Looks great!

My girls always did a lot of work on their cars, but a few of the Dads would build a car and go crazy on it.

We had "cut nights" where the kids could bring their car's to us and we would rough out their blanks, or teach them how to do it themselves. I wish I was as good and fast with the bandsaw as their designs required sometimes.

It's definitely something they are proud of, I still have one car I cut 40+ years ago.
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

The car is very cool, but the whole point of the derbys is for the kids to do the build. I helped my son with several of these and gave advice and watched closely while he used tools. He did the work and was justifiably proud of his accomplishments. He earned eagle with a palm and learned along the way. I admire the dad's participation, but I think his daughter missed out on the opportunity to gain some valuable skills. Also it was unfair to the other competitors who did the work themselves. If the daughter did the design and operated the CNC, then she could be proud of the new skills she had learned.
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant