Model height - Base height- shape height

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
csmoak
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx

Model height - Base height- shape height

Post by csmoak »

I’m not understanding this gap above and gap below model lol. I split the difference on a 3/4 board thinking it would leave a good bit at the bottom. The roughing pass took the edges down to paper thin more or less and the model height maybe .25 above it. The initial numbers were gap above model at 0.00. Can someone explain this to me in dummy terms maybe. I know you can adjust shape height also. How do you set it up a 3/4 board to maybe take off a 1/4 inch before it starts cutting on the model. Just don’t want to remove 3 hours worth of roughing lol. Maybe one of y’all can explain this. Do I need to leave Gap above model at 0.00 ?

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Re: Model height - Base height- shape height

Post by Pete Cyr »

The gap above defines how deep you will cut to get to the top of the model
The gap below define how much material will exist below the model after the model is cut

Assuming the surface to mount the material to be cut is flat and parallel to the gantry a gap of 0.0 above the model is appropriate.
With a gap of 0.0 above, a model height of 0.5" and base material of 0.75" ....when the carving is complete you will have 0.25" of material below the model.

You can see this easily by running a simulation and changing the gap above and or below

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Model height - Base height- shape height

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Also, check your z-zero setting. With the top of the model set exactly at the surface of the material there is no room for error.
Steve