Tabs

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
ger.wat
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha

Tabs

Post by ger.wat »

Using Cut 3D and trying to add tabs to this model, attached, I can't figure out how to make the tabs bridge between the model and the material blank. They actually go inside the model and show up where they can't be in the finished part. Except for Tab 3, it's different, somehow, I don't know how.

Also with the tabs turned on, the final cut out doesn't work.

How do I fix this?
Attachments
SBplas1 Enclosure Top-5.5 Display_06.v3d
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 131 times

ger.wat

Re: Tabs

Post by ger.wat »

OK, when I turn off "Preserve Tabs During Cut-out" THEN it's able to cut the part out but this defeats the purpose of having Tabs!

ger.wat

Post by ger.wat »

After watching a couple videos, I now understand, with tabs one shouldn't need a cut-out tool path.
HOWEVER, this points to another problem, neither the roughing nor the finishing cut through.

So how do I fix that?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Notice on the Add/Edit tabs screen it says:
The tab will be added on the cut plane to bridge the model to the nearest machining boundary to the point you click,
If you note on screen "2. Material Size and Margins” for the option “Machining Margins around Model” you have “Symmetrical” checked with a margin of 0mm. The tab can’t be made from the edge of your model the edge of the machining boundary as they are one and the same (0mm offset) so the program does it’s best and your tabs "actually go inside the model and show up where they can't be in the finished part”.

Try entering “7” (or 6.35 if you want it to be the size of you roughing bit) next to the “Symmetrical” check-box. Then delete existing your tabs and re-add the tabs. This should come out better. It’s been many years since I’ve used Cut3D though.

ger.wat

Post by ger.wat »

I changed the roughing bit to 0.125", set the margin to 3.75mm, and the tabs just got longer on the inside of the part.
However, I experimented with placement of the tabs and while I never figure out where to click the part to get it to work, I did finally get 5 tabs that correctly link the outside of the part with the extra material.

Knowing that it has to have margin was key, thank you.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Sorry. Forgot to note that wouldn't change any existing tabs in the model only newly created ones. Glad things are working out.