Cut2d cutting above workpiece

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
ggoode23
Model of CNC Machine: x carve generic - GRBL

Cut2d cutting above workpiece

Post by ggoode23 »

Hi All - I have a strange issue. I draw up an item in cut2d pro, copy the item the paste it 4 times within the layout I created. I select all the items and go to Toolpaths. I set my Z safe to 5mm, select the tool I want to use, calculate without issue and then save using the imventables gcode post processor.

The first 2 items in the drawing cut perfectly - however when the router is meant to move onto the next item to cut it does not raise itself up to the safe z height. It simply cuts a line to the next item to cut. I recreated the drawing from scratch. This time when it got to the 3rd item the spindle did raise up and move but then started cutting in fresh air above the workpiece. I've also had it that the router plunges way too deep into the workpiece and starts cutting. Odd.

Any ideas - going crazy here. Thanks

Graeme

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Cut2d cutting above workpiece

Post by gkas »

Please post your crv file. How do I upload files or photos to the forum? https://support.vectric.com/faq/vectric ... -the-forum

ggoode23

Post by ggoode23 »

Hi, thanks for the reply - file attached.
Attachments
test file.crv
(73 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

I'm not sure if your bit Z=0 is getting set correctly. Your material thickness is specified as 25.19mm. but your cut depth is set to 10mm. You have tabs set for profile 3, but not profile 4. They look to be the same part. You can cut out all the parts by selecting all the profiles in a single toolpath. The cuts should not be above material, that would tend to suggest a setup error.

ggoode23

Post by ggoode23 »

Hi, yes cut depth is set to 10 - I run the piece through a bandsaw afterwards to 10mm so the pieces fall out. I setup tabs on one to test. There were originally 4 of these in a row, all set to cut in one Toolpath - but this is where the issue comes in. It doesn't go to a safe Z after the 2nd piece had finished cutting...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You say you're using the Inventables post processor? I can't see one of that name in the standard list so presumably you've downloaded it from somewhere.

If you're cutting multiple copies of a shape with a single toolpath and it's not retracting between some shapes but is on others that has to be a post processor, control software or hardware problem. There's nothing you can do in the setup side of Cut2D that would cause that issue with a single toolpath.

ggoode23

Post by ggoode23 »

Roger that - Sorry it's the openbuilds pp and cut in openbuilds software. I use a workbee cnc with arduino uno controller. Perhaps the standard grbl processor is better. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Here is a case where the code output by the post processor would be to look at.

ggoode23

Post by ggoode23 »

Hi - will post is asap