How to have a Truncated Cone 3D image

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

How to have a Truncated Cone 3D image

Post by RacerChris »

Hi everyone!

So I managed to make a truncated cone using the Fluting Toolpath and a serious of vectors arranged in a circle. However, I want to engrave onto the sloped surface but when I chose "project toolpath onto 3D Surface" it does not work. I suspect that is due to this command only working for 3D surfaces. So, my question is, is ther a truncated cone 3D clipart that I could use? I looked at the standard included clipart and found "Domes and Dishes" but all are curved surfaces. Any help would be appreciated.

As you can see from the attachment, the "track" i have drawn to extend down the sloped surface is not engraving. This appears to be due to the fact that the truncated cone is not a "3D" image...
Attachments
Model Capture.PNG
Chris
Shark HD3 / vCarveDesktop 10.512 / CNC Shark Control Panel v2.1 Build 22

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: How to have a Truncated Cone 3D image

Post by Adrian »

What software do you have - Aspire, VCarve or Cut2D? You've posted in the Cut3D section but you're not using that software going by your description.

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RacerChris »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:44 pm
What software do you have - Aspire, VCarve or Cut2D? You've posted in the Cut3D section but you're not using that software going by your description.
I have Vcarve Desktop. Opps, I guess i posted in the wrong location...
Chris

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I can't think of any standard clip art that will do that. You need an actual 3D model as the project option doesn't work on toolpaths only models.

Aspire it would be easy to create the model from scratch or from the toolpath but not in VCarve.

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RacerChris »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 pm
I can't think of any standard clip art that will do that. You need an actual 3D model as the project option doesn't work on toolpaths only models.

Aspire it would be easy to create the model from scratch or from the toolpath but not in VCarve.
Shoot. I was afraid of that. Can anyone point me to another way to accomplish this?
Chris