What did I do wrong!!!!!!

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Retired 1st Sgt
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

What did I do wrong!!!!!!

Post by Retired 1st Sgt »

I was trying to make a flag with a security forces badge on it. The rough cut time was 9 hours, and seem to go pretty good. The finish cut time was suppose to take a couple of hours. I left the machine for 30 min and came back to this.
I tried to attach the actual file to this post however it said it was to large of a file.

HELP
Attachments
62576936376__25B30B6A-45BF-4F0D-8766-92A68FFA54E3.JPG
62576934545__0E2ABD6E-EA60-4DEB-B216-7C6823AA609A.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: What did I do wrong!!!!!!

Post by Adrian »

Looks like it massively lost steps after the first few passes of the finishing pass or the z-zero was way off if it didn't start cutting at one end.

Did you reset the z-zero when changing tools? Have you used that combination of bit, speeds and material before?

You can zip the file or link it from a dropbox type service.
Last edited by Adrian on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

It also looks like you bit slipped. Check your collet, if it looks old, throw it away and replace it, or check to make sure it's the correct size for the bit.

Gary

Retired 1st Sgt

I zipped the file and its still to large (7.81MB). I really wish I could get a second set of eyes on my settings. As far as setting the Z I did. I also torqued The nut on the collet. I guess I can try a new collet. Its not the wood loss, its the 10 hours I lost!!!!

Thanks guys

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

As mentioned previously, you can upload your project file to a free service such as DropBox. After you upload your file to your DropBox account, copy the download link and paste it here in the Forum so we can download it for “inspection”.

I’m sorry you ended up wasting so much time and material. One of the items that needs a close look in your file is the Roughing Toolpath settings. It should not be taking anywhere near 9 hours to do a roughing operation.

Hopefully, we can help you soon!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Retired 1st Sgt

Retired 1st Sgt

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm ordering a new collet for starters. Hopefully you can see something I need to change in the file I downloaded via dropbox. I agree 9 hours is a long time. Thanks again!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

On the roughing toolpath you're using a 1/4" tool with the pass depth set to 6/100" of an inch so it will be doing a lot more passes than typical like that. I don't know how powerful your machine is but a rule of thumb for hobby type machines is to set the pass depth to half the diameter of the bit. Doing that reduces the roughing time by at least half.

Your feed rates on the finish tool look quite aggressive compared to what you set for the roughing tool. You're running the finishing tool at twice the speed. You've got the units on the finish tool set to mm/sec rather than inches/min as you did on the roughing tool so that may be where you went wrong there.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Your file looks great to me. You might want to change the emblem to "merge" and add a little base so it sets above the flag.
Steve

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Couldn't view the file as I have an older version of aspire but yeah, roughing should take no where near that long and certainly not longer than the finish.
Probably stepover, which should be 40% or over for roughing. Depth could be an issue too, at least .125 or .25 if your machine can handle it.

Will be interesting to find out what caused the massive overcut, would actually be nice if it was a simple zero'ing issue.
Doubting if the bit simply slipped, seems to me it would have come out or been destroyed if that was the case.
Doug

Retired 1st Sgt

looks like I have some research to do, thanks everyone

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Did you see my post above? I looked at the file and your pass depth on the roughing toolpath is way too small which is why it's taking so long and you've specified the wrong units on the finishing tool feed rates so it's running a lot faster than you might think. That might have caused it to lose steps which would explain what went wrong.

Retired 1st Sgt

Adrian, I seen your post. Thanks for looking at that. I'm going to adjust as suggested. It might be a while, I'm on another project now :) I'll keep you posted after I run it again.

Thanks!