Post Processor

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Post Processor

Post by JMD »

Can anyone tell me how to add a new pro processor to cut3d?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Post Processor

Post by Adrian »

With Cut3D (and PhotoVCarve) the post processors are in a folder named PostP that are in the same Program Files (Program Files (x86) if you're running 64 bit Windows) that the program is installed to. So for a default install on 64 bit Windows that would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Cut3D\PostP

You need admin rights to be able to read and write files to that folder in most versions of Windows.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

Adrian wrote:With Cut3D (and PhotoVCarve) the post processors are in a folder named PostP that are in the same Program Files (Program Files (x86) if you're running 64 bit Windows) that the program is installed to. So for a default install on 64 bit Windows that would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Cut3D\PostP

You need admin rights to be able to read and write files to that folder in most versions of Windows.
The post processor I an trying to install (Lenux CNC_G64_Arcs_inch) is i the list under Program Files(x86),Cut 3D,Post P, but when I try to save a job it dose not show up in the list of Post Processors. I am about out of ides. :? Have am E-Mail into Vectric Support, but haven't gotten an answer. Any help would be welcome. Thank you.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

What is the name of the post processor? It's not necessarily the same as the file name so you might be missing it. Load the post processor into a text editor such as Notepad and look for the POST_NAME value.

Another common issue is double suffixes on the file. It might look like the file end with a .pp (as it should) be really it's .pp.txt instead. Check the file type column in an explorer window to discount that.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

Adrian wrote:What is the name of the post processor? It's not necessarily the same as the file name so you might be missing it. Load the post processor into a text editor such as Notepad and look for the POST_NAME value.

Another common issue is double suffixes on the file. It might look like the file end with a .pp (as it should) be really it's .pp.txt instead. Check the file type column in an explorer window to discount that.
POST_NAME = "LinuxCNC Arcs(inch)(*.ngc)" Copied from the file. The only other name it might have is Probotix Linux CNC. Thank you for the help. And the fast reply.

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro 6+

Post by tjimholte »

I am having this same trouble. I opened the PP in a text editor and can see the name is slightly different than the file name but that name doesn't show up in the list to save either. Do I need to change one of them?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Are you saving to the correct location and have you restarted the software after saving the new post processor?

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

yes to both, I believe (see attached), I know that location changed for V10 but i believe Photo VCarve is like the older preV10 location for PP files.
Attachments
PVC issue.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Check that the file type is still PP. With the hidden suffixes that you have set the filename can look correct but it can have a .txt extension instead.
With all the security that Windows has these days regarding saving/updating files in the Program Files areas you need to have full admin rights as well.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

JMD wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:30 pm
Can anyone tell me how to add a new pro processor to cut3d?
Sorry I forgot to report this. I got the problem solved. Cut3D is working fine now. Thank you to all who helped.
John

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Sorry John, looks like I hijacked your post as I am having the same issue and Adrian is helping me resolve it. What was your fix?

Adrian, as you can see it from previous post it says the file type is PP, could it still be a .txt? The computer is mine and not hooked up to any other system so I assume i have full admin rights. How do I tell if it is a .txt when it says it is .PP?

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Adrian,

I confirmed with my tech support company and I am admin on this machine. The attached shows that this is a .PP file type. I am at a loss of what to do next. My thought is to just try the "GCode" PP in the list to see if that will run my machine. Is there any harm in doing that?

Do you have any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for all your help on this.

TJ
Attachments
PVC issue-2.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Can't see it hurting. I remember there being some sort of shadow directory that Windows put files copied into Program Files as well with certain versions. It's been so long since I've done anything with Cut3D or PhotoVCarve I don't really remember all the details of it.

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Thanks Adrian,

I did an air cut today with the GCode PP and it appeared to run fine. Tomorrow (actually today, need to go back to bed) I'll do a full test cut to make sure. This brings up a new question, if a standard GCode PP works, why do machine manufactures make their own PPs? Do you know what they need/use a custom PP for? Seems odd to me and a bit confusing.

Like I said thanks a million for all your help. This isn't the first time you helped me so I just want you to know how much I appreciate you hanging around this forum and helping us all out.

TJ

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Sometimes it can be that the machine (really the control software) can run multiple languages. My ShopBot can run g-code no problem but that would be missing out on a lot of the benefits of it's native control language OpenSBP.

Some machines need certain g-code macros to run at the start of the job to set the machine up so they would need their own post processors to call the correct macros.