New to CUT3D Need Help

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Timberwolf Design
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 & Panther from Camasters

New to CUT3D Need Help

Post by Timberwolf Design »

Im trying to cut several 45 angle cuts in a board for a old Philco Radio, floor model. I have to duplicate the bottom support board that holds the front grill trim. I programmed a 3D model of the board in our 3D software CAD package and saved it as a STL file. Brought it into CUT3D for programming. All I want to do is cut these 45-deg pockets to hold the trim. The software did the rough cut ok but on the finish cut it started milling the top surface of the board at a angle and it never did the finish cut on the pockets. I have included photos of the 1 the board we are trying to duplicate, 2 the results we got from the CNC cut using CUT3d, 3 I have included the CUT3d files

Im new to using this software, I have 28 years experance using 3D modeling software. You would think making these simple cut would be easy. But the CUT3D software does not truly explain how to set up 3D pocket cuts and zi sure do not need to mill down the top surface of the board. i just need to make these 45-Deg cuts

Thank You
Bart
Attachments
20191218_180913.jpg
20191218_185241.jpg
BTM BOARD-2.v3d
(838.5 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: New to CUT3D Need Help

Post by Adrian »

I don't think the file has uploaded properly as I get an error when trying to open it and the filesize looks a bit small.

Looking at the pictures I'm not convinced Cut3D is the right software. It's designed to mill a whole piece not just the pockets on a piece the way you want it to as far as I know.

I would do a job like that as 2D not 3D with VCarve either as pockets with the material clamped at an angle or via a fluting toolpath.

Timberwolf Design

Ok how would you program this in Vcarve? we use VCARVE every day and I have no idea how to program this at angles with it being 2d CNC software. I understand clamping the board to a 45-deg jig but how do you program a 45-deg angle project in Vcarve when the board is setting flat on the Z

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

VCarve doesn't need to know the board is at a 45 degree angle. As long as the base of the cut is perpendicular it won't matter. Obviously you'll get a lot of air cutting as you're pocketing a rectangle and it won't become the full size until it gets near to the bottom.

You could also try the fluting toolpath as that will cut at angle with the board flat in the "proper" manner. You'd need a few side by side vectors to get the width.

Which version of VCarve do you have? All versions since 8 have had the ability to machine 3D STL files so you don't need to use Cut3D for that type of job unless you're maching all 4 sides.

Timberwolf Design

we are using Vcarve 8.5. I have never used it to cut 3D. I created the 3D of the board model in Solid Edge 3D Cad, and saved it as a STL File But I havent been able to bring it into Vcarve as a drawing it comes in as a shaded image and I cant pick the pockets

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It doesn't come in as a shaded image, thats just the representation of it in the 2D window. It will show as a 3D in the 3D window. You machine it using the roughing and finishing 3D toolpaths but it will still leave you with the same issue as you with Cut3D in that it will try to machine the whole board but you could get creative with the model placement in the material to get around that. 3D isn't the most efficient way to do that though. Fluting or perhaps the moulding toolpath would be my choice but others may be able to suggest other ways of doing it. The Cut3D part of the forum doesn't get much attention as the user base is quite small so you may get more response for ways to do it in VCarve by posting in that section.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I would certainly use the VCarve fluting toolpath. As it uses vectors to locate the center of the bit, the cut will extend beyond the pattern by the bit radius on each side. I've found that spacing the vectors at 1/4 the bit diameter will give you a satisfactorily smooth surface. I've extended the vectors beyond the edge of the material so the flat that is cut at the end is in air.

This is cut with an end mill with a flat end There is no way to eliminate the radius in the corners since the cutter is round. A smaller cutter will, of course, result in a smaller radius.
45 slope.JPG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

"I've found that spacing the vectors at 1/4 the bit diameter will give you a satisfactorily smooth surface."

GOOD tip Mike for when I just want a functional surface!
Thanks!
scott

Timberwolf,
Is there any way in your other software to create Boundary Vectors for the areas you need, then save boundaries as an .eps and bring it into VCP?
I've found VCP from 8.5 on Much easier to do 3D.....and now only save Cut3D for a 4 sided 3D(which I've never done, but may in future)
MUCH easier to toolpath and modify with jumping through all the Cut3D hoops(at least for me)/
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.