Decreasing "cutting air" time

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Mofosheee

Decreasing "cutting air" time

Post by Mofosheee »

Hello Forum

Attempting to make sense here!
Starting off with a block of material, say 2" x 3" and performing a profile operation requiring 2 different size milling bits; .25" & .125"
Is there a way to establish MOPS to reduce machine time by not having the next (smaller diameter) mill bit retracing the profile, "cutting air" where material no longer exist? In other words, keeping the mill bit on the remaining stock? Thank you Forum!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Decreasing "cutting air" time

Post by mtylerfl »

I don't know what "MOPS" is, but...

Could you run your 0.25" bit first to whatever depth you want, then set your 0.125" bit to a Start Depth equal to the depth you already cut with the 0.25" bit? (Of course, you would also add the balance of the final depth you want for that smaller bit toolpath.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: Decreasing "cutting air" time

Post by Savannahdan »

Best I can find for MOPS is machining operations. I'm figuring it's the point where you've worked your project file and have toolpaths which indicate what to cut, what to cut it with and other parameters such as depth of cut, speed, feed, etc. Then you create the g-code files.

I opened Cut3D and don't see where you'd set a Start Depth. It may be there but I didn't find it or it may be called something different. I've not used it in quite some time and use Aspire now.