Point Cloud Import into Cut3D

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Point Cloud Import into Cut3D

Post by wmgeorge »

I have created a XYZ form of point cloud in Mach3, its basically a text file with X,Y,Z, coordinates that supposedly Cut3D is supposed to use and turn into a STL file sooner or later. The program locks up and I get the spinning wheel and then crashes. The file came from a digitizing probe touch off points. I am using the Demo so has it been upgraded to work with this file? :D :D

Not sure if I can upload the file here or not, its just a comma delimited Text file.
Scan6.txt.txt
(11.47 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Hermie
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Re: Point Cloud Import into Cut3D

Post by Hermie »

I am pretty sure you need aspire to do that, as you are trying to build a 3D object.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The two digitising formats support are MaxNC and ShopBot. I'm not familiar with the former but the file is definitely not the right format for the ShopBot filter so my first instinct would be that it probably isn't in the correct format for the MaxNC filter either.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,

In addition to Adrian's reply: I imported your file in Aspire 9.5 trial with the regular grid importer.

I'd say that the coordinates order in the fie doesn't match the importer order (XYZ). Knowing your object, you can probably quickly check this looking at the file in a text editor.

Given the very low resolution of your scan, I doubt you'll be able to use the file.
Attachments
Regular Grid Importer gadget
Regular Grid Importer gadget

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

I am posting a screen picture of the file formats in Cut3D. I used a free program made for files created in Mach3 using the digitizing probe like I did. I imported the STL into VCP and processed. The JPG output of VCarve Pro 9.5 looks pretty good. The scan was my first and lacking but the scanning software handled it pretty well I thought. I was wondering why Vectric programs would not do the import and convert? I would love to be able to do it all in Cut3D. I also found another program called and it does also work and I was able to convert my point cloud to a STL.
The blue file was done in that, outputted to STL and into VCP.
In any event I have found a workable method (with some more practice), to digitize say hand carved objects and move into VCarve Pro and duplicate. I am very thankful for that feature to handle 3D models. I am also working on the method of scanning using a Microsoft Kinect and some 3D scanning programs available online.
IMG_3742.JPG
Scanned6.jpg
3DVCarveScanned.jpg

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

I am just wondering and I have asked this before on some of the other Vectric software if Cut3D is ever going to be updated? I know Aspire for $2000 is the answer, but a lot of us don't need all those other features. For one I would like to see the point cloud Import working as well as the two STL's I posted here... one was from a "free" Mach3 add on the other, another freebie.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The point cloud import does work though. It just has to be in the correct format.

It's not a question of having to use Aspire either. VCarve does everything Aspire does if you look at if from the set of Cut3D features. VCarve Pro can also import point cloud files although VCarve Desktop can't as it doesn't support gadgets.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

I did not know VCP Imported Point Clouds, need to check it out.

I question the "correct format" as I posted I have two other low cost, or "free" programs that Import the Comma Delimited format just fine. I was just wondering when Vectric would be able to do the same? Even Aspire could not do as you see above.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Sorry scratch that. I keep forgetting the import gadget is Aspire only.

What you said was that you wanted the cloud import working which implied that it didn't work. It does work but not with the formats you want to use. I don't know what the future of Cut3D is but for feature requests you need to email support as this is primarily a user to user support forum.

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Wayne Locke »

I use Aspire and not VCP but why don't you just convert the file to one VCP will open. Other free programs should do that.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Wayne Locke wrote:I use Aspire and not VCP but why don't you just convert the file to one VCP will open. Other free programs should do that.
I did please see my post above. I would LOVE to have Cut3D do the native Import. It comes in an Industry standard format that other programs can Import as I posted above. I hate to be a trouble maker but if they can do it, why can't Cut3D? I want to buy and use Cut3D and not use the others.

The Point Cloud file I posted was done with Mach3 and a digitizing probe. More than likely the most used, non commercial control system in the world, for under $300.