Lost with STL files

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
franazzo
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Lost with STL files

Post by franazzo »

Hi all!
Finally after a few years of owning a shapeoko3 and cutting some simple stuff, I finally would like to get into the 3D carvings. I tried the Vectric free file samples and it works quite fine and I really enjoyed the work.
Now I have ordered some files online and I got the jpeg and a STL file.
My question is - do I need a different software to create a 3D tool path?
I tried to worked in the Vcarve desktop software and it keeps telling me to create a 3D tool path first.
I have attached one of the files that I purchased for your review and perhaps someone can help me out.
Thanks alot !
Attachments
deer in snow.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Lost with STL files

Post by Adrian »

You've posted in the Cut3D section so I'm not sure which software you have as you mention VCarve as well.

You can load an STL into Cut3D and into the later versions of VCarve as well. With VCarve once the STL has been imported you need to create a 3D roughing and 3D finishing toolpath for it. There are several tutorials covering creating 3D toolpaths in VCarve but it's a very simple process.

If none of that seems to make sense can you provide a bit more information on what Vectric software you have and which versions you have as there is a different process again for getting 3D toolpaths into older versions of VCarve and that required Cut3D.

franazzo

Post by franazzo »

Thanks Adrian,
I have Cut 3D, v 1.11 and V Carve 8.5.
Like I mentioned before I have some pictures with the STL files from the internet and I am stuck with changing them over to toolpath which is what I need help with.
I tried to find out over the internet if I need a conversion software to create a tool path from the STL files.
But, maybe I am searching for the wrong thing because all I could find on the webpages was to try Sketchup/ Pycam/ Free Mill / Hiks Cad/ other software.....
Attachments
htmlimage.jpg
7c5701c208f89d1b9b9a293a748d08e7.jpg

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

This tutorial will walk you through importing and carving a STL model.....

https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=49

franazzo

Post by franazzo »

Thank you Adrian and gkas,
I think, I finally figure it out!!!
Thanks for your tips and I probably will have some other questions down the road.
Merry Christmas.