Horizontal cut on slides model

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
theideacreek
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre 3636

Horizontal cut on slides model

Post by theideacreek »

Hello I'm trying to cut a 3d model that is 6" thick. In order to do this I need to slice the model. The model has all vertical cuts with the exception of one horizontal cut. How do I make Cut3D cut the portion of the horizontal circle as part of each slice. I have attached a photo for more information.

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Jeremy
Attachments
Cut3D Model Example.JPG

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Horizontal cut on slides model

Post by FixitMike »

Vectric products do not handle undercuts. That is because they describes parts as surfaces with a Z height at each X, Y, location. You can cut some undercuts by lying about the tool used, but it won't show in the previews. Your horizontal hole is essentially an undercut as far as the program is concerned.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

FixItMike is 100% correct on all fronts.

With a simple cube-ish block it would probably be easiest to do one set of cuts, then reposition the material in a related jig to do the side-ways bore operation.

Or just drill it.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

PaulRowntree wrote:With a simple cube-ish block it would probably be easiest to do one set of cuts, then reposition the material in a related jig to do the side-ways bore operation.
...and by doing that you no longer need the 3D model as this appears to be all 2D toolpaths relative to each face. This could be realized using Cut2D or V-Carve if you have them.

Steven

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

adze_cnc wrote:
PaulRowntree wrote:With a simple cube-ish block it would probably be easiest to do one set of cuts, then reposition the material in a related jig to do the side-ways bore operation.
...and by doing that you no longer need the 3D model as this appears to be all 2D toolpaths relative to each face. This could be realized using Cut2D or V-Carve if you have them.

Steven
My impression is that the slicing was being done because the block is 6" deep and many machines lack the capacity to handle the depths of cuts that are shown. The Z travel has to be at least twice the depth of the cut so the tool can clear the material. 2D paths, of course, run a lot faster than a 3D path would. But I believe you need a 3D model to utilize slicing.

Myself, I would just figure out what the various 2d slices would be and cut them as such.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

theideacreek
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre 3636

Post by theideacreek »

Thank you all for the information. At least I won't spend anymore time trying to figure out how to make Cut3D do this. I'll come up with another approach. The 6" thick did cause the need to slice the model.

Sincerely,
Jeremy

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

At best that is a 2D - not 3D part.

2D to do the top as pockets and a drill press for the side hole.

Another approach is a drill press with Forstner bits. Maybe a hand held router for the large top pocket, but you will need to set up a little bit of fixturing. Drill press for the side hole.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC