Considering Cut3D, question on creating and importing models

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
7.62x54r

Considering Cut3D, question on creating and importing models

Post by 7.62x54r »

I used Cut2D for a year or two and upgraded to VCarvePro a little over a year ago and am considering Cut3D. Initially all I want to do is cut some dish shapes (section of a sphere) in some flat boards. I downloaded the trial version and see that it is not a modeling program and any models have to be created in another program and then imported. I use the free version of SketchUp all the time to create 3D models but it doesn't seem to have the capability of exporting in a format that Cut3D can use. SketchUp Pro would probably export what I need, but it's $495, which I can't justify for this project.

I guess my question isn't really about Cut3D, I know it's a great program just from my experience with Cut2D and VCarvePro. My question is, what inexpensive, or better yet free, programs are available for creating models that can be exported/imported into Cut3D?

I don't mind $295 for Cut3D, but not if it's useless without spending that much or more to create models. I do realize you can buy ready made models, but I'd rather be able to create my own.

Thanks in advance.

Bret

Re: Considering Cut3D, question on creating and importing models

Post by Bret »

Hi 7.62x54r,
Have you tried guitar-list that will convert your skp files to dxf & stl files?
http://www.guitar-list.com/download-sof ... dxf-or-stl

Bret

7.62x54r

Post by 7.62x54r »

Bret,

Thanks, that looks like it might work.

Regards,
Ted

7.62x54r

Post by 7.62x54r »

I installed the script and was able to export a .dxf and then import it into the trial version of Cut3D and create a cut file. Now I just have to come off the $299!

Thanks again.

Bret

Post by Bret »

Your Welcome!! Good to hear, Glad I could help :)

Bret