Rhino3D and Cut3D

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
kono0014
Model of CNC Machine: KRMx02

Rhino3D and Cut3D

Post by kono0014 »

The only post that I could find with some information on this topic is below:

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=rhino

Based on that post, I gather that I really only need Cut3D to generate the toolpaths from Rhino drawings. I have VCarve, Cut3D, and PhotoVCarve. I am hoping that to get into the 3D world I don't need to invest in Aspire at this time too. I know Aspire is powerful and everyone is very happy with it so there is no doubt of its value. Just trying to select the right software and minimize my investment at this time to get me to be able to make some fairly simple 3D drawings and be able to create the proper toolpaths. I am sure Aspire will be in the not too distant future.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: Rhino3D and Cut3D

Post by rscrawford »

You can convert your Rhino models to mesh, save them as an .stl, and import that into Cut3D. Cheaper than buying Aspire, and cheaper than buying MadCAM or RhinoCAM.

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Your Rhino will convert many formats to STL to be used with your cut 3D, convert laser scans, and also repair meshes and alot of other things that you will find useful with the Vectric products.
Very powerful program that you will always use. I have owned Aspire since it came out and it is very good for what it does, but I also use my cut 3D for some things like being to finish machine in two directions. I used to use it for four sided machining on my rotary axis, when I started.
I think you will buy Aspire eventually, if you do much 3D work, because of the more options to manipulate the cutting area when using 3D. But if you use what you have for a while, you will learn to appreciate how simple Aspire makes some things. No program has everything you want, or does everything you want it to do, or the way you want to do it. Aspire and Rhino do 80% of my 3 axis work in wood, plastics, glass, and stone. I have run some 1 million and 2 million line Gcode for some large companies, and when I told them that I did not run a test cut for the final product, just went by my preview, they said they would never consider doing that with their more expensive software, Aspire's preview is very good.

Roy

Alex Navarro
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis

Post by Alex Navarro »

I use Rhino and export my files to Cut3D too.
I take some images of process for export to DXF if you or somebody need
Attachments
ChooseCam_Imperial.jpg
Configuration.jpg
define_center.jpg
Detailed-Controls.jpg
Edit-Schemes.jpg
Open_Cut3d.jpg
Alex Navarro

Alex Navarro
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis

Post by Alex Navarro »

if you need to import in Cut3d STL is also easy.
When Rhino Ask about resolution .. put 0.005 (mm) or 0.000196 (inches)
Attachments
Refine_Mesh.jpg
Resolution.jpg
Alex Navarro

kono0014
Model of CNC Machine: KRMx02

Post by kono0014 »

Thank you!!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!