3d model boundry

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
ArtyJr
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD

3d model boundry

Post by ArtyJr »

Hi All
I'm using Cut3D version 1.11, and am trying to cut a 3D model in STL format. My problem is I'm trying to get the program to stop machining the surface of the material around the model. The model is in the A format (dished), and I would like it to stop cutting this area. I don't have this problem with V3M files, so am I just overlooking something in my setup, or is this just a limitation with the STL format?
Thanks
Don

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: 3d model boundry

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Don,

The .v3m format does include a model boundary while .stl files do not. There would be a couple of things you could try but the easiest solution, assuming this is one of the VectorArt 3D models, is to log back onto your account and download the same model in .v3m format. VectorArt 3D allows you to do this without any additional charge.

Tim

ArtyJr

Post by ArtyJr »

Tim
Thanks for the help. Yes it is a Vector Clip 3D file and I will start getting the .V3M files
Don

ArtyJr

Post by ArtyJr »

Tim
I did log back on to the Vector Clip3d website. They have four file formats available besides .stl they have, .RLF, .VNA, and .PTN
I'm guessing that .VNA, would be the one I need, as in the description it says it's for (Artclip3D&Type3)
Thanks for the help
Don

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Don,

We have some confusion here. There are two different companies - Vector Art 3D, which is part of Vectric and offers the .v3m model format, and Vector Clip 3D which is apparently where you purchased that model. From the model formats you list, the only one you will be able to open in Cut3D is the .stl.

Here is something you can try with the .stl model. It may or may not work depending on how the model was created and saved, but only takes a few minutes to try.

In Step 2, instead of keeping the Symmetrical setting at its default of 0.0, set it to a small amount as shown in the snip. Be sure to verify all the other settings on that page and click Apply. Then recalculate the toolpaths and the blue toolpath lines should tell you if it is going to work or not.

Tim
Attachments
Cut3D setting.JPG

ArtyJr

Post by ArtyJr »

Tim
Thanks that does explain why I couldn't find the .V3M format. I have already tried your idea with the symetrical offset and couldn't get rid of the blue machine lines in my preview. I will contact them to see if they can help, and if maybe the .vna file might provide a solution.
Don

mrmfwilson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Post by mrmfwilson »

Is something like this what you are trying to achieve? I usually set the symmetrical value to less than .1 and check "Use the model silhouette". You may not have to set the symmetrical value small. Sometimes I have to play with that number to get what I want. This is what seems to work for me.
Attachments
Spoon example.jpg
MatSZ.JPG
Mr. Wilson
CenterLine Designs
Facebook - Centerline Designs