Question of the day??-Milling Plastic (acrylic)

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
makavelly
Model of CNC Machine: v90 probotix

Question of the day??-Milling Plastic (acrylic)

Post by makavelly »

Forgive me because I am truly a beginer in the world of CNC. My project is to carve a 3d work out of a 1/2 to 1/4 inch of acrylic sheet. Can anyone direct me in the proper direction as far as tool bit, spendle speed and anything else knnowing. Thanks in advance.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Question of the day??-Milling Plastic (acrylic)

Post by RoutnAbout »

makavelly wrote:Forgive me because I am truly a beginer in the world of CNC. My project is to carve a 3d work out of a 1/2 to 1/4 inch of acrylic sheet. Can anyone direct me in the proper direction as far as tool bit, spendle speed and anything else knnowing. Thanks in advance.
Here's a search using the words "feeds, speeds, acrylic"
Hope that helps... some great info and reading there
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

oxenham1
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Techno cnc

Post by oxenham1 »

Make sure you get cast acrylic, the stuff with the adhesive paper protective layer. Extruded acrylic(has the thin plastic protective layer) has a lower melting temp and can quickly mess up your job!
Blog: http://www.fromaspiretobeyond.blogspot.com
Web: http://www.oxenhamdesign.com

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

You might be hard pressed to cut 3d anything out of 1/4, that is not much to work with. 1/2 is better, from my limited experience trying to carve 3d in plexiglass, the results are disappointing, as the tool polishes the surface and it is no longer transparent - Which kind of ruins the reason for using it in the first place. Of course, you may be using tinted, I don't know ... I did ok using the same general tools & settings that I use for wood.
Doug

JimG
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Seig KX1

Post by JimG »

makavelly wrote:Forgive me because I am truly a beginer in the world of CNC. My project is to carve a 3d work out of a 1/2 to 1/4 inch of acrylic sheet. Can anyone direct me in the proper direction as far as tool bit, spendle speed and anything else knnowing. Thanks in advance.
I've been doing a lot of milling of styrene sheet and I have got excellent results using carbide cutters. They seem to cut cool and I get no problems with heating and melting of the styrene, and styrene has a habit of melting when you use HSS powered cutting tools.

As for feeds and speeds, I have constructed a test sampler which covers speeds from 2500 - 5000 rpm and feeds from 60mm/min - 500mm/min and there seems to be no obvious difference in cut quality with a 2mm cutter. :)

Jim.