Help Converting Files

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
tjskcnc
Model of CNC Machine: diy

Help Converting Files

Post by tjskcnc »

I need someone to resize 2 STL files from 3DModelClub and convert them to V3D so I can use them in VCarvePro. Anyone available?

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Help Converting Files

Post by tmerrill »

Doing what you ask would be questionable from a legal/copyright point of view.

On their information page it says they can supply models in .v3D format. I suggest you contact them with your purchase information and ask if they can supply the second format.

I am assuming you don't have Cut3D or else you could prepare these .stl files yourself. Just having the .v3D file won't solve your problem because you will still need Cut3D to generate the toolpaths that you will import into VCP.

Tim

tjskcnc

Post by tjskcnc »

tmerrill wrote:Doing what you ask would be questionable from a legal/copyright point of view.

On their information page it says they can supply models in .v3D format. I suggest you contact them with your purchase information and ask if they can supply the second format.

I am assuming you don't have Cut3D or else you could prepare these .stl files yourself. Just having the .v3D file won't solve your problem because you will still need Cut3D to generate the toolpaths that you will import into VCP.

Tim
In that case, I need someone to generate the toolpaths that I can use in VCarvePro. I can't afford Cut3D at this time, so I'm asking if there is anyone out there who can do this for me. I have contacted them about the V3D files and still waiting a reply.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

I need someone to generate the toolpaths that I can use in VCarvePro
I am sorry, but this is still wrong. It is a shame you can't afford Cut3D, but that shouldn't justify doing something wrong.

To say it a different way, 3DModelClub owns the models, period. According to their license agreement, which you accepted when you made the purchase, you cannot give them to anyone else without permission from 3DModelClub, even for your stated reasons.

If you want to ask them for that permission, it will help us to help you. But I think I know what their answer will be.

Tim

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

If you get the 3d modeling club to get you the models in v3d than I thnk James still has the free software where you can make the toolpaths and import into aspire yourself.

Bob

tjskcnc

Post by tjskcnc »

Who's James and what free software?

I have VCarvePro, not Aspire.
I have a job that needs to be completed and I'm just trying to find help getting it done. If my neighbor had the software necessary to do the job, and he did it for me, no one would think anything of it. If I purchased a pattern for a job that needed to be cut on a plasma machine, and I took it to a metal shop, there wouldn't be a problem there, either. This is no different, but I seem to be running up against a bit of "snobbery" here. Why is that? I paid for these models and I need a "subcontractor" to prep them for me. Normal business practice. People bring me their models, designs, patterns, etc., that they purchased, all the time, just to help them with part of their project. I am sure that it's the same for everyone in the cnc or related businesses. I have a decent size library of graphics I have purchased and can use. I have an even larger library of files I can't use because someone else brought them to me. I keep them for future use for repeat business with that customer.
So how is having someone prepping my files for me wrong? I am not giving anyone anything. Now, if they take the files and use them, that's a different story and a reflection of their character and business practices. I would not accuse anyone of doing anything illegal or unethical without knowing them better. I would assume anyone I deal with on these forums, especially a "regular" or "gold member" or "moderator", etc. would be trustworthy enough to work with.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

There are plenty of trustworthy people on this forum, perhaps that is why the caution. It is you we know nothing about.

You come on to the forum, make your very first post about models you have purchased - which we can't verify - in one of the most common formats available, but don't have the ability to work with them. Kind of a red flag.

You don't bother to provide any information about yourself, including a real name, location, website, etc., and want to email these models to anyone who will answer. In my opinion, that goes against the intent of the model company's license agreement. As I suggested, ask them for permission to send the files electronically to someone you have never met or had a business arrangement with and see how they feel about it. It is worth a try...

I am sure there are people on here not as "snobbish" as me and I would expect you may hear from them as things pick up this evening. That is their business and between you and them.

Take care,
Tim

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi

dont send your file anyone... first contact 3d modelclub about converting... if that doesnt work, your another option looking for free programs...

to handling stls theres accutrans, and netfab... type this two name in google... they can resize, even convert these files... accutrans is $20

for mill, also you will find something... im not totally sure but theres a free mill, you can load stl obj and a few couple of type model...

in vcarve make the surrunding work, and with free mill you camn make toolpath for your model... not easy, but you can get trough...
i mean not difficult, but if you asking here probably did not do before...

but sure to working simpler you need at least cut3d...

viktor

tjskcnc

Post by tjskcnc »

gravirozo wrote:hi

dont send your file anyone... first contact 3d modelclub about converting... if that doesnt work, your another option looking for free programs...

to handling stls theres accutrans, and netfab... type this two name in google... they can resize, even convert these files... accutrans is $20

for mill, also you will find something... im not totally sure but theres a free mill, you can load stl obj and a few couple of type model...

in vcarve make the surrunding work, and with free mill you camn make toolpath for your model... not easy, but you can get trough...
i mean not difficult, but if you asking here probably did not do before...

but sure to working simpler you need at least cut3d...

viktor

Checked your referrals...
NetFab costs $1000. Accutrans won't convert to a file format I can use.

Using MeshLab, I am able to resize the STL file, but the only usable format it will save it in is still STL. Using Solidworks or Mastercam, I am unable to even move the model, much less create the geometry for the tool paths. I believe a binary parasolid will work, but have been unable to create one from the STL files. Both images need to be in the same scene, so I need to be able to open them both up in the same sketch. My guess is that there are too many surfaces for the software and my computer to handle. 3DModelClub has not been able to offer any advise on this subject (my guess is they just don't have the software to try it) and I am still waiting to here from them on converting them to Cut3D files.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

netfab has free version.. some less ability like the pro, which one really cost 1000///
imusing free version...

pro can unify, subtract stl shells

free version can fix automatically holes, split on a line stl shells..

accutrans can resize, and convert other formats (same simple triangulated formats)
i using both program...

mastercam, only from 3 or 4 version toolpathing simply way stls...

for other issue, like both scene in same model... it is not only simply just resizing... very possible you need aspire for this...

another point, 3d modelclub, and all other site warning you, try before buy,,, all website has free model.. you can download...

the fact, 3d modelclub or other site cant convert you to v3d format is simple, because that format used by vectric... also v3m format vectorarft3d own format...

you migth need to order a custom model from vectorart 3d... they make it you, and you can load immediately in the free machinist, and import in vcarve...
have you asked them?

sorry about your thougths... but i think this way you cant get help...

i started with cut2d... however always find some program i could use... not so easy use like these, as they designed for but always found some solution...

not you the only one, who cant buy on the spot aspire or other program, however many people find solution...

viktor

tjskcnc

Post by tjskcnc »

The attached image is from 3DmodelClub's free sample download page. It shows several file formats other than STL and RLF, including V3D.

In one of my "past lives" a was a software programmer. I understand the difficulties of converting one file format to another. A lot of software has proprietary file formats, but with 3D rendering, it has more to do with the modeling methods used in the software and some file formats just cannot be converted to others with a different "foundation."

I'm just trying to get thru this project! Cut3D is on the wish list, but that won't happen for a few more months.
Attachments
3DMClist.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

even you get converted your files... vcarvepro not for 3d models... the model need to contain the toolpaths, i mean from 3dmachinist...
so even someone convert you, still you migth can not use it. because you cant change toolpathing methods, or localizing toolpaths...

for your situation... the most you can do, look at for gallery on vectric website...
migth be some vcarving sample give idea you, also on this forum you can looking users post as they made projects...

many vcarved project eventually looking very close 3d...

and about formats... mastercam, and most cam, calculate surfaces... means objects of a few hundred of uniform or non uniform surfaces... in stl, can happen million triangles...

these formats, aspire, cut3d using is not triangulated... close like a bitmap... thats why theres no converter for..

viktor

have you tried sourceforgenet? or other sources, that they offer free programs...

3dmodelclub

Post by 3dmodelclub »

Hi Ted,

I have converted and sent you links to download the files in V3D format.

Note regarding asking for help to convert.

In general we would appreciate to contact us first for assistance and we will do whatever we can. In the past I also had to seek Vectric's support team's help with file conversions.

If we cannot help in someway we don't have any objection if a customer gets assistance from a friend or a forum member to help convert a file.

Many thanks,

Greg.

PS. I wanted to remind forum members about our special Easter promotion to save 25% off any purchase. Contact me on 3dmodelclub@gmail.com for more info.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

I have bought several models from the 3D Model Club and their service has been excellent. They even follow up personally to make sure everything is okay.

Angie