Trouble converting Solidworks to Cut3D

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
jtcdudeman

Trouble converting Solidworks to Cut3D

Post by jtcdudeman »

Im a newbie here and to the CNC world in general. I am trying to make a cutting board for my mother for Christmas and have spent about 2 hours today trying to accomplish this. But, Im having some issues and Im not sure where it is coming from, how to correct it, or even where to begin. Im going to break it down into what I've done so far.

Step 1: Find suitable drawing of pig for cutting board.

Step 2: Import pic into Solidworks. Using the autotrace feature, I was able to rough trace the picture. I then spent 30 minutes cleaning it up making the vectors smoother.

Step 3: Build solidworks 3D model from 2d drawing.

Step 4: Save model as STL format.

Step 5: Import into Cut3D.

Step 6: Use Cut3D to program Gcode.

Once I got my 3d Model imported into Cut3D, I noticed one side was rough looking for a few seconds and then it went away. I assumed it was because the computer was slow and importing the model (solidworks was slow with the complexity of the drawing too).

Once everything cleared up, everything looked good. I proceeded with creating the tool paths and calculated everything out. Once I got to the preview stage, I noticed I had lost the fillets on one side of the model. The fillets are the whole reason I went through the trouble of using Cut3D and making a 3D model in solidworks instead of just using cut2D

How do I fix this, where did I go wrong?

attached a jpg of cut3d preview.
Attachments
pig cutout.jpg

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Re: Trouble converting Solidworks to Cut3D

Post by ssflyer »

I'm not sure why you lost the one edge, but here are some observations:
This would take way more time as a 3d carving than simply doing profile toolpaths, and using a roundover bit.

You stated, "solidworks was slow with the complexity of the drawing too" - This drawing is about as simple as it gets. There is no complexity to it at all. If this slows down SolidWorks, I'd look for another reason.

Hope this makes sense...

Best regards,
Ron
Ron Sloan

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Ron is right. You'd be much better off doing that as a 2D using a point roundover bit to get the curve on the edge.

jtcdudeman

Post by jtcdudeman »

Thanks guys. I sure feel stupid. :x Who here would believe I didnt even think of that once? :shock: :lol:

I'm not a woodworker by trade yet and am about 2 weeks into a functional CNC. My bit collection and knowledge was limited to endmills and ball mills until about 20 minutes ago...

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

No need to feel stupid - we've all been there! :lol: This forum is a great store of knowledge and knowledgeable people, who are more than willing to share their experience.

Now that you're hooked, welcome!

Ron
Ron Sloan

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

To go with what Ron said. I've been woodworking for closed to 15 years, read all the magazines and studied all the design elements. Until I watched the tutorials I didn't know what a ball nose bit was. I'm sure it will all come together for you. Part of the fun is figuring out the problems.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

The guys are correct about this being a simple project better machined with 2D toolpaths.

But you are starting out and trying to learn, and will need to master some type of 3D modeling program if you want to produce your own 3D models to machine with Cut3D.

So I would stick with this simple project until you fully understand why that edge was lost and how to prevent it in the future. Personally I would start with Solidworks and their forum if they have one. Cut3D had proven itself to very accurately machine the model it is given, so assume this is what has been input.

If you are willing to post the .stl model file, someone can open it in Aspire and take a look at it and that should quickly tell you whether it is a model issue or Cut3D setup issue.

Tim

jtcdudeman

Post by jtcdudeman »

Thanks guys. My main goal was to be able to cut aluminum parts and primarily 3D stuff with this machine. But, now that I have got it up I find myself wanting to dabble alot! :mrgreen:

Ive been using solidworks for years doing 3D cad work and Ive imported about 40 models into cut3d and they have all came out great. Ive even cut 4 of them out with varying success (due to my hold downs and spoilboard issues). It honestly blows my mind how such a simple file gave me those issues. But, I would have been cutting 4 hours vs 15 minutes if I had succeeded in my original plan. There obviously is a silver lining in every cloud.

Tim,

I'd be more than willing to post the STL file. It doesnt want to upload directly to the site though. I assume 77.8MB is bigger than the forums will allow. If I am mistaken or should upload is elsewhere or email it to a specific email address, let me know and I shall.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Wow, that is an extremely large file for something like that. Probably another clue. That far exceeds the maximum upload size for the forum. The forum also won't accept a file with the .stl extension, so people normally zip it to reduce the size and give it a .zip file extension which the forum will accept. You can try zipping it, but I pretty sure it won't reduce it to less than the file size limit.

You can create a free DropBox account (www.dropbox.com) and copy it to the public folder. Then you can provide a download link in a forum post. They provide well written instructions if that is something you want to do.

Tim

jtcdudeman

Post by jtcdudeman »

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

The picture below shows the .stl model imported into Aspire. It agrees with the Cut3D preview you posted so I believe this points to an issue with the model coming out of Solidworks. I have no knowledge of Solidworks so have no suggestions or help I can offer. Perhaps others will.

Since it is a Christmas gift, I would suggest completing it with Cut2D and simple toolpaths. Then either continue to work with this design, or a smaller one, in Solidworks until you get it resolved.

One curiousity question: What dimensions was this modeled for (width, height, thickness) in Solidworks?

Tim
Attachments
3D pig.jpg

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

I tried opening it in Rhino, and got the following info:
polygon mesh: 4897026 vertices, 1632342 polygons with normals
This is a really large file for such a simple model. What export setting did you use in SolidWorks?
Can you upload the .sldprt or .sldasm file to take a look at?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Sloan

Steve_Howden

Post by Steve_Howden »

Hi,

Same here in Rhino. Veeeery big file for the complexity.
Opening the STL in Rhino, I see that the section in question is in fact empty. Looks like SW has failed to mesh that section while exporting to STL.

I'd make a guess and say that the original drawing probably has some sharp kinks in it that SW is haveing a hard time filleting. Usually that sort of thing will cause a self intersecting surface (which then can't be meshed).
Attached you'll see a rough version I threw together from the outline of your STL. I didn't spend much time fairing the curves so it still has a few bumps in it but you'll see the difference.
Attachments
PIGGY.zip
(518.08 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

jtcdudeman

Post by jtcdudeman »

tmerrill wrote: Since it is a Christmas gift, I would suggest completing it with Cut2D and simple toolpaths. Then either continue to work with this design, or a smaller one, in Solidworks until you get it resolved.

One curiousity question: What dimensions was this modeled for (width, height, thickness) in Solidworks?

Tim
Im going to end up doing it in Cut2D. I've sourced a bit set at Harbor freight locally that hopefully will do the trick. They may not be high quality, but will do for now.

model dimensions in solidworks: W:9" H:15" T: .75"
ssflyer wrote:I tried opening it in Rhino, and got the following info:
polygon mesh: 4897026 vertices, 1632342 polygons with normals
This is a really large file for such a simple model. What export setting did you use in SolidWorks?
Can you upload the .sldprt or .sldasm file to take a look at?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron,

I used a macro that I setup to save files in STL format because I couldnt get solidworks to save simply by clicking save as Scanto3D (.stl) to work. I always get a no available entities to process through STL error. It may be my newbie incompetence or the fact I have no experience from CAD to CAM. I tried to save the files as dfx format and then go to STL, but had no luck. I'm not sure why I couldnt save it originally, so I found a tutorial that gave me a macro to automatically do it for me. I setup the macro as instructed and it works like a champ. Obviously, the tolerances are very tight on it (although I couldnt figure out in the macro how to change them.)

SW part file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17177070/3d%20pig.SLDPRT

Steve_Howden wrote:Hi,

Same here in Rhino. Veeeery big file for the complexity.
Opening the STL in Rhino, I see that the section in question is in fact empty. Looks like SW has failed to mesh that section while exporting to STL.

I'd make a guess and say that the original drawing probably has some sharp kinks in it that SW is haveing a hard time filleting. Usually that sort of thing will cause a self intersecting surface (which then can't be meshed).
Attached you'll see a rough version I threw together from the outline of your STL. I didn't spend much time fairing the curves so it still has a few bumps in it but you'll see the difference.
Steve,

Thanks for doing that. I want to ask what you did to accomplish the fix or how you did it. BUT, Im afraid it may be beyond me at the moment. If you care to try to explain or link me to somewhere that can, Ill be sure to spend 3-4 hours figuring it out.

Thank you everyone for all of the input and advice. You guys are far more helpful than any other forum I have been on. I just wish I knew the right kind of questions to ask or the right place to find the info I seek.

-Tommy

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I opened the solid works file - no problem

Model looked fine to me

I exported as a DXF - I needed to select the back face - no fillet side - to export

I opened VCarve pro

I imported the DXF vectors

I then needed to edit the outer profile to join the vectors - so that the outside profile is ONE continuous vector - not several

I then selected "profile" and used a 1/4 end mill to cutout the profile - cutter to the outside.

I would suggest simply DRILLING a hole near the tail

I would then use a good quality 3/8 roundover bit - not Harbor Freight - to do the fillet. A good bit will give a good finish, the opposite bit will yield the opposite results. Your solid works model has a .400 fillet, but the woodworking bits come in fractional sizes..

I have never uploaded her - so I might need a little help there -- but -- I would be willing to upload the VCarve file with toolpath for you pig, if you are still needing something.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well I first tried to upload the file but is was bigger than 1 meg so I needed to make it smaller. I did that by making the material size smaller and making the vector scale smaller. The piggy appears distorted, but it's not. It looks funny because the 1/4 end mill does not fit into some area of the reduced piggy size. When you download you will just want to make the piggy bigger, by scaling the size bigger, and you will want your material size to be about 36x36, or whatever size you want.

Leo
Attachments
piggy.crv
(724.5 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC