Poplar Shepard

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Poplar Shepard

Post by Xxray »

Sometimes, you never know what you are going to get with poplar.
This dark patch didn't show much on the surface, but became more pronounced as the cutting went deeper. Certainly gives it a unique look.
No stain, just a clear coat. I have found that stain usually kills the marble like affect that poplar has.
Attachments
3 (Large).JPG
Doug

jam1962
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Self built 36x25x7

Re: Poplar Shepard

Post by jam1962 »

That looks great, done really well. Myself, I cant get poplar to do anything but fuzz up when I do a carving like that.
Jay Morris...

Rick O.
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC router

Post by Rick O. »

Very nice! I always enjoy wooden items that really -look- like wood.

Unfortunately, many customers want every item to look "perfect", without any unusual grain, knots, etc.. In other words, like something made of plastic!
RickO

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Jay, I have had nothing but great results doing 3D with poplar. It molds very nice, is easy to sand, and is easily available from big retail outlets for a reasonable price. Try experimenting with settings/bits, may be worth the effort.
This was done using a .25 for rough, and a tapered spiral [tapers from .25 to .9] at 16,000 rpm for finish.
Did this polar crucifix the same day, as you can see, the detail is very sharp, and this pic is right off the machine before I even did any finish sanding or clearcoat.

Rick, like you, I am attracted to unusual grain/knots/imperfections that give the piece character - So much so that I will usually cut and set up a piece with these in mind, and I specifically look out for this stuff when buying wood. Lucky for me, I guess, that I don't have any customers to worry about ! But just like there are coin collectors who love tone and [what most would consider] defects, there surely must be alot of folks who would rather buy something like this rather than a generic, plain looking cut.
Attachments
2 (Large).JPG
Doug

jam1962
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Self built 36x25x7

Post by jam1962 »

Thank you, I will try your suggestions and give poplar some more time.
Jay Morris...

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Speaking of including wood "flaws" intentionally in projects, here is one I did some time back with a pretty glaring knot hole in it
Attachments
1 (Large).JPG
Doug

DeadTom

Post by DeadTom »

I view it as the hole the Roman soldier pierced in Christ's side, was that your intention?
Beautiful nonetheless.