Buffalo/Indian Head Nickel Coin Bank

Redhorse
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Buffalo/Indian Head Nickel Coin Bank

Post by Redhorse »

Hi All, Finally found time to carve and assemble the Buffalo Coin Bank. A great project. Thank you very much for the files. Michael, thank you for taking the time to model the Indian head and Buffalo. I can think of numerous graphic sides to the "coin".
Since I planned to paint the finished bank I carved same from 3/4" mdf. I first sealed the mdf with a sanding sealer (not water based). Spray painted the assembled "coin" with metallic silver paint. The base was painted gloss black.
Thanks for looking.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2040.jpg

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Re: Buffalo/Indian Head Nickel Coin Bank

Post by esteeme1 »

Nice job Dave and excellent finish.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Dave...I don't know how I missed your post, but I found it today! You did a fantastic job on the Bank!!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

hockeyhead
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Post by hockeyhead »

Question on your Indian head bank. Did you use any kind of wax like the vectric article suggests to bring out the relief at all? The finishes listed in the how to article are on the pricey side from the suggested vendor. Shipping is outrageous.

What paint did you use?

Thanks!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

I used the paint and wax listed in the PDF instructions, but you can substitute those and get the same effect.

For instance, any good silver paint can be applied. Then you can use black acrylic paint as a glaze with a clear coat afterwards. Or, you can just apply black shoe polish over the silver to accent details and serve as the final coat.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

This is excellent.
May I ask what font, bits and settings you used, (Michael/Dave) to get in and around the text without any breakout
Regards
C

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

BigC wrote:This is excellent.
May I ask what font, bits and settings you used, (Michael/Dave) to get in and around the text without any breakout
Regards
C
Hi C,

Here is the link to the project (the PDF shows what bits were used):

https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... elCoinBank

Fonts used were Arial (except for the 1913 date - that was traced from a photo since no font match was found). I used Aspire's Create Shape/Curved Profile modeling tool to create lettering that was mildly rounded over. Total height of the lettering is only 0.07" and I did not need to apply any Draft to the letters, since they didn't have vertical walls to worry about chipping.

As far as bit speed/feed settings, always use what is suitable for your particular machine, so it is likely a moot point what my own settings were.

In general, use a large stepover setting for raster Roughing Passes (I used 76% for the 1/4" DC EM), small stepover for Finish Passes (I used 10% - which is usually fine when using a 1/8" BN, as in this case, but I use 6% or 8% when using smaller finish bits such as a 1/16" or 1/32" TBN)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

mtylerfl wrote:
BigC wrote:This is excellent.
Regards
C
Hi C,

Here is the link to the project (the PDF shows what bits were used):

https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... elCoinBank

Fonts used were Arial (except for the 1913 date - that was traced from a photo since no font match was found). I used Aspire's Create Shape/Curved Profile modeling tool to create lettering that was mildly rounded over. Total height of the lettering is only 0.07" and I did not need to apply any Draft to the letters, since they didn't have vertical walls to worry about chipping.

As far as bit speed/feed settings, always use what is suitable for your particular machine, so it is likely a moot point what my own settings were.

In general, use a large stepover setting for raster Roughing Passes (I used 76% for the 1/4" DC EM), small stepover for Finish Passes (I used 10% - which is usually fine when using a 1/8" BN, as in this case, but I use 6% or 8% when using smaller finish bits such as a 1/16" or 1/32" TBN)
Thank You, Michael
I don't know how this will all work out in VC Desktop
but we'll see
Regards
C

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi C,

Since you don’t have Aspire to run this project, you could create your own “vector version” (v-carved) design. I think it could look quite nice!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hey C,

I made html Job Sheets of the project files for you and attached them below. They show the bits and settings I used for each file. Again, those settings may not be appropriate for your machine.

NOTE: in order to upload them here, I had to combine them in a .zip file, so you'll need to unzip before you can view the html summaries
Attachments
Buffalo Nickel Job Sheet Summaries.zip
(257.55 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Thanks again Michael
Regards
C

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I have a question... since I only have Vcarve Desktop I can't see the details of this project. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to re-make something similar. But I looked at the pdf an the parts... once the pieces are together, how do you get the coins out of the thing? It would be difficult to get them out through that top slot. Just curious. Thanks. Another Aspire only project... boo hoo... lol.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Ed,

The base is where you retrieve the coins. It is held in place (covering a large bottom opening) with two screws - easy on/easy off!

(See Page 4 of the PDF)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi Ed,

The base is where you retrieve the coins. It is held in place (covering a large bottom opening) with two screws - easy on/easy off!

(See Page 4 of the PDF)

Hi Michael. I seen that there were two screws holding the base... so that is how you get access to the inside coins? You remove the screws, open and dump? lol. Makes sense... when I seen the screws, I thought that securing the base to it was permanent. Thanks again.