1911 grips.. any help?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
cscnc85
Model of CNC Machine: 3020

1911 grips.. any help?

Post by cscnc85 »

Hey all,
I am new as I stated in my prior posts but have watched the tutorials etc. so I now have a decent understanding. But I wanted to start with a small project which is to duplicate grips I have for my 1911 colt just in a different exotic wood. I was able to find a blue print and then I used the import bitmap option and then selected "fit vectors to bitmap" But its a blue print so it has little dimensions all over it. My question is... am I even going about this the right/smart way? and how do I make sure it is going to cut the correct size? Do I use my calipers to get dimensions of the set I want to duplicate? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

landdesign
Model of CNC Machine: WartHog

Re: 1911 grips.. any help?

Post by landdesign »

getting a clean trace off the pics I've seen is pretty tough. I had a set and took all the mesurments and cut a dozen sets for myself and friends. here is the dxf file and you can go from there.

have fun
Erik
Attachments
1911 grip simple.dxf
(189.11 KiB) Downloaded 2834 times
Dscn0366.jpg

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 5010

Post by John Murphy »

Thanks Erik.

I'd love to try to make the grips, but I can't see any data when I imported the dxf into Aspire.

Is it just me?

John

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Here's another to try. Basic shape is done with a two-rail sweep. Note it needs some hand work on the backs for an ambi-safety and the bar on top of the other grip. Also need to countersink both sides of the screw holes--a stepped bit works well for that. The "bark" texture was done with Aspire's Texture Toolpath. These were done in bloodwood with ebony stain.
You can also add textures with greyscale height maps.
Attachments
9Gripsfinal-p265.dxf
(211.86 KiB) Downloaded 2111 times
9Grips-Bark.jpg
9Grips-scale.jpg

landdesign

Post by landdesign »

John I down loaded and opened up both mine and the second one and they both open fine for me. remember we only gave you the profile and the hole placement to scale size. it will be up to you to build the 3d shape you want in Aspire. it should be pretty easy with using a two rail sweep and then lofting an engraving pattern over that for and letters or artwork you want. Aspire makes the 3d part really easy. just take it one step at a time and have fun.

Erik

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard

Post by John Murphy »

Hi Erik.

The second post came in fine. Thanks for sharing.

John

landdesign

Post by landdesign »

john I used the other dxf file just for fun and did this Aspire file in about ten minutes. you may want to cut differently or change the highth profile of the grip ect , but it shows you what can be done in a quick amount of time with aspire. if you slow down and have some fun you'd be amazed at what you can do. :D
Attachments
1911 grip.crv3d
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 1758 times
1911 test.jpg

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard

Post by John Murphy »

I might combine the cnc and the laser to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the input!

john

cscnc85
Model of CNC Machine: 3020

Post by cscnc85 »

Wow! Well this was more then enough info. Thanks much guys! Really appreciate it. I will post results.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

I couldn't load the first dxf file in Vcarve Pro 6.5 to see what it looked like either. I was able to load it into other software and AutoCAD 2007. I exported the dxf from other software beta and then it loaded into Vcarve Pro ok. I didn't try it with Aspire yet. Thanks for the file and the other later versions as well.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Here's a scan of the BACKS of the grips. The .jpg has been mirror flipped, so should be oriented correctly and ready to make the vectors.
Attachments
GoodGrips.jpg