Another mess I got into!

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

ElectraGlideRider
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus

Another mess I got into!

Post by ElectraGlideRider »

I made this mirror awhile back. I used yellow pine with an amber shellac to match the rest of the woodwork in our log home. I really suck at shellac and I'm not happy with the finish. I may redo the finish.

The mess I got into was when I discovered that the wall it's hanging on was pretty much gone behind the drywall. There is a fireplace in our living room that backs up into that corner and there had apparently been a leak around the chimney for years and all the wood was dust. I got it all replaced and finally got the mirror hung this week.

Tom

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Another mess I got into!

Post by zeeway »

Sorry about your dry wall mess...but happy to see your work. Good design.

I find yellow pine, or any other kind of pine, a challenge to get an even finish on. I find it best to start after finish sanding, with a thinned shellac mixture (about a 1 pound cut) for a couple of coats, and then a couple of coats at full strength. But overall, I find shellac very forgiving as the last coat "remelts" into the previous one. I usually rub out the very last coat with pure alcohol...or with 0000 steelwool and then paste wax.

Angie

ElectraGlideRider

Thank you Angie.

I've pretty much "gutted" most of this house and had to replace a lot of trim and such. Just when I think I've got the hang of the shellac, I run into the issues I had with it on this project. I don't know if it's the wood that takes finish differently or if it's me. It just dries so quickly that it's hard to get it even.

I built a cabinet in our bedroom that houses our laundry chute and it came out great. Our kitchen cabinets were hand built out of yellow pine with a shellac finish and we decided to keep them. I removed a wall oven from them and made doors to match the rest of the cabinet doors to make that area a pantry and the doors came out perfect. I actually used old wood that came out the bathroom vanities for the doors. The old wood seems to finish better than new wood.

Tom

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Ever try teak/tung oil? Want a glossier finish just add another coat. Can be used outdoors too. Works on any wood.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... n+Teak+Oil

Everything I've posted has it on it. If you want it non-toxic just use the Tung Oil instead of the mix.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

ElectraGlideRider

I use tung oil on practically everything. You just can't beat a hand-rubbed finish. The only reason I was using the shellac was to match the finish on everything in this house. It's definitely not something would use every day.

Tom