Female Mould problem

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Charlie Iliff
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy

Female Mould problem

Post by Charlie Iliff »

I am trying to learn how to make a female mould for fiberglass layup of foil shapes. I design the shape in Rhino and export as .dfx or .stl. When it is imported into CUT3D (PartWorks 3D) and I define the blank, the program draws a border around the pocket that will be the mould, and shows that as cut out. If I define a block with the pocket in Rhino, Cut3D cuts around the outside outline of the block. I haven't found a way to program it just to excavate the female mould pocket. What am I missing?

Charlie Iliff

pupetxls
Model of CNC Machine: Mill

Re: Female Mould problem

Post by pupetxls »

Hi guys,

I'm having the same issue.
Attached you have an example for what I'm trying to do. I'd like to mill that red half sphere. And ONLY that!

I'm on the same trouble as Charlie is.

Could anybody help?

Thanks,
Pupet
Attachments
Cut3d.JPG

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Pupet,

I just saw your post on another forum where you said Aspire won't work well for this project because it doesn't have tabs like Cut3D does. Actually, Aspire has tabs, you just create them like you would any other simple 3D shape. If you need help with that, let us know because I think you would be better off using Aspire for this project and having complete control over the machining area.

I also can't relate to your comment about Aspire's 3D toolpaths not being as good when compared to Cut3D's. Aspire has more options and control over 3D toolpaths than Cut3D, so again let us help you.

Tim

pupetxls
Model of CNC Machine: Mill

Post by pupetxls »

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply, wasn't expecting that.
I'm surprised by your support.

Well, actually I really liked the Cut3d easy way of working, not to mention it's cost too.
Sadly I believe, it is not able to serv me in this purpouse.

The price difference between Cut3d and Aspire is quite high, considering that this is the only issue that I've faced with Cut3d. I'm using almost none of it's design features or the carving parts. So for me it is not worth the investment.

As for tabs, made in 3d, it's abit complicated, because my m.o. is quite fuzzy. I cut different parts, on different nestings and sheets according to the orders that I collect. Part design changes also frequently, this is why I'd avoid if possible the 3d tabs.

Even if it can't do this 3d pocket, I am amazed by Cut3d's capabilities. (cut2d's aswell).
Remarkable software.

Thanks,
Take care,
Pupet

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Sorry, the way I read your other post I thought you had both programs.

Tim

Charlie Iliff

Post by Charlie Iliff »

Tim:

From your note above, am I correct in concluding that Cut3d can not create a toolpath to cut just the hollow of a 3D pocket, but always will outline the 3D object as in the attached, and that Aspire is needed to control the toolpath to eliminate the border (and surface) cuts?

Charlie Iliff
Attachments
Finishing Toolpath Preview.png

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Charlie,

I don't want to give an absolute answer because hopefully someone knows a technique that will do what you need. But I have been trying some examples and haven't been able to find a solution for you. You have some control over machining margins in Step 2, but I think the big issue is when a shape is a negative, the model depth has to equal at least the depth of the negative. This means the sides are viewed as needing machining.

I understand everyone's situation is different, but this would be very easy to do in Aspire. You could do the modeling, set machining boundaries and create toolpaths all in Aspire, or import your Rhino model and use Aspire to set the toolpaths up. If you do a lot of these, Aspire may be a good solution.

Tim

Charlie Iliff

Post by Charlie Iliff »

Thanks Tim:

I'd love to have Aspire, but finances prevent it, for now. If you think of a work around in Cut3D, I'd sure appreciate it.

Charlie

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Charlie,

Would it be possible to use Cut3D to make a positive, then use that with an appropriate type of plaster or silicon to create the negative mold???

A few extra steps involved, but a possible solution using what you have available for software tools.

Tim
Attachments
foil positive.JPG

Charlie Iliff

Post by Charlie Iliff »

It's possible, Tim. We actually are working on the female mould to see if it does a better job than just a 2-sided male carving. We've practiced and gotten decent results with a male carving, and probably will do that instead of a female mould unless we have better luck with the female than we have so far.

Thanks

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

If this is your only option... You might try in Rhino, on your half sphere, make an additional .010 straight extrusion added upward to your sphere, or whatever is necessary,and set your zero .010 above the material. You would still cut a box to match your plane, but it would not cut the top of the material.

Roy

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Can you import your stl file then edit the code to stop before you get to the outer edges? If you use an offset toolpath the code will begin cutting in the middle. If you need it in a specific location you can locate the center of the model and position it when you import it into cut 3D. I know this is not the best solution but if is saves you money.....
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

If you use an offset toolpath the code will begin cutting in the middle
Cut3D does not offer an offset toolpath option.

Tim

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

I guess that would be a problem then. Sorry!
tmerrill wrote:
If you use an offset toolpath the code will begin cutting in the middle
Cut3D does not offer an offset toolpath option.

Tim
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

Charlie Iliff

Possible Solution

Post by Charlie Iliff »

I haven't actually cut it, yet, but Ron Churches, over on the ShopBot forum suggested putting in a machining margin of .0001, rather than zero. The previews show the cut just in the area I want, with no outer margin and no surfacing.
That seems to g with the thread that discussed Cut3D ignoring holes that are too small for the bit. I'll test on the machine in a couple of days.

Charlie