V-Carve Wizard suggestio for enhancement

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

This is all at anyone's reach within this readily GREAT piece of software (VCW).

Expensive!? Not!

The "text" only is from outside...

Here the CRV file. Run each toolpath one by one and look at the 2D view to understand what vector(s) was used for what so you can see what it's all about...

Let me know if you need any help about it.

----->Look like I cannot attach the 593 KB CRV... sorry...
Attachments
embossing_demo.crv
(593 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
Last edited by Paco on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Paco,

There was a problem with adding .CRV files.

This has been fixed and you should now be able to upload your files.

Tony
Last edited by Tony Mac on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

SEE ABOVE - post edited...

Thanks Tony!

CLyon
Vectric Apprentice

Emboss Demo

Post by CLyon »

Paco,
Very nice. You've taken the layering of vcarve/2d carve to a new level. Must have spent several nights awake trying to visualize how that all fit together.

The complexity of the sequence highlights the difficulty there would be if one were to change the size of the piece. Next version could really use a global recut calc macro or some such.

Also - wouldn't it be fun to have wizards within VCarve to semi automate some of this sort of effect. Now you've shown us how to do it, I want to play with some other graphics and see what can be done.

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

As with any CAD/CAM out there, don't limit your possibilities with the available buttons and menus. Combination would be a keyword... I got an wrench, I got a bolt... can I only turn the bolt?!... Not; I can fix something in my car...

I would prefer to have more options, tools and feature than pre-built wizard to create such things.

Most of this kind of work is done while I sleep I believe... :roll:

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Paco,

you're a very creative guy, you're doing some really cool things with V-Carve. I'm still looking for a way to reverse or invert the profile of a v-carved image. I've been working on taking a V-Carve file, opening the SBP file in Excel, changing the Z values from Neg. to Pos. and saving the file with the new Z- values. I'm hitting a few bumps in the process but I'm making progress. I think it will work.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Phil,

I've found that your approach is basically sound.

Based on your suggestion here is what I've toyed with:
Use the teardrop file with the addition of the following:
1) create a rectangle slightly larger than the material
2) 2D mill the rectangle 0.001" deep (i.e. a shallow cut)
3) V-carve tooltath just the teardrop but set the start depth to 0.001"

Next I wrote a routine that:
1) in the V-carve toolpath finds the maximum Z depth -- that becomes the new Zero.
2) for all other Z cuts find the difference between them and the maximum Z - the greater the difference the deeper the cut
3) Use the same method on the end-mill file - still finding the difference between the maximum Z depth of the V-carvefile and the end-mill.

The problem that I have so far is that it wants to cut the deep parts first. I need to figure out a way to reverse the cuts so we cut the shallow areas first and then work our way down.

Sadly, I cannot preview it in Vcarve wizard -- I can only preview in my Shopbot program.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

RC

you're experiments bring up another feature that I would like to see incorporated in V-Carve - the ability to preview SBP files. Maybe the wizards could provide us a utility that would convert SBP files to CRV.

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Yes I know I've over done my bit on tabbing-bridging but..
I've noticed that my tool bits are being chipped when small cuttout break free. they hit the tool and the product chipping the tool.
Regards
Bart

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

I've done several mirror and picture frames lately and would like to be able to delete waste material that is internal when previewing.
Scott

doglaw
Vectric Apprentice

Post by doglaw »

:D Tony:

I have a couple of requests for a future release:

:idea: I created a file that has about 70 toolpaths. Sometime after I created all the toolpaths, I realized I needed to tweak a couple. Finding the right toolpath was a bit of a problem for me. It would be nice if, when you select a toolpath in the toolpath list box, the corresponding vectors would either change colours or line width or something else to make them stand out.

:idea: It would also be nice to be able to create a line vector and be able to specify a starting depth and finish depth and have V-carve produce a toolpath with a changing z-position. This would really be a powerful feature and I sure have a ton of applications for it.

Thanks,

Doug

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Enhancements

Post by Rik »

What about the ability to do curved profiles? I mean instead of only linear planes the ability to follow up a curved or rounded surface? This would I think add a 3rd dimension for us to play with. What do you think, doable or flight of fancy? :wink:

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Futur Vectric product release!? :D

edcoleman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID CNC 4x8

Post by edcoleman »

Like many others, I'd like to say WONDERFUL SOFTWARE PACKAGE !

I'm really looking forward to the next release...one item that would be a nice addition that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the ability to to select objects with an irregular bounding box.

For example I used two different angle bits in carving the file shown here - it would be nice to have been able to select the individual elements with an irregular windowing function as opposed to having to shift-click on each one

Oh yeah, and tabs would be nice too (wouldn't they Paco? :D )
Attachments
sign al.jpg
(99.96 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Well, it's just that I much prefer to sand (trim) down tabs than try to make a bit bite disapear... and even though I sometime need to have my fingers there, I really like when I look at my tool with the hot coffee in my hands! Isn't CNC about this anyway (at least part of)!? :wink: