Moment of Touchdown

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
snowgrains
Model of CNC Machine: Home made 8020/MDF 3'x2' cuttable

Moment of Touchdown

Post by snowgrains »

About the only pursuit I have that is more expensive than CNC is my horse. I ride him competitively in hunters and jumpers, and have seen many photos of his form over an obstacle. I've seen many photos of my own too, and it's not worth discussing.

There is one moment of a horse's jump that I find particularly compelling. It is the instant that the first hoof touches the ground. Usually, the other foreleg is stretched out ahead of him and the back legs - although in a "tucked" position - are just starting to unfold. To me it is pure equine poetry and deserves to be sculpted with some help from CNC.

The project involved a lot of model manipulation to achieve the correct "look" and then a bunch more to section it, orient the pieces to the z-axis and position them for cutting.

It was cut from pink construction foam and has a wire embedded in the leg touching the ground so that it may be mounted on a base easily. There was a lot of sanding and filling once the pieces were glued together. It is fairly large at approximately 20" long by 12" tall. Roughing and finishing passes both used a 1/4 ballnose. The topcoat is 2 layers of Styrospray applied with a brush.

Haven't decided on whether to do a faux metal finish or paint it in the dark brown colors of my horse.

Anyway, that's the project. Pictures follow.

Greg St. George
Attachments
Model 1.jpg
Model 2.jpg
Parts.jpg
Rough assembly.jpg
P1020626a.JPG
P1020624a.JPG

Mogal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY CNC

Re: Moment of Touchdown

Post by Mogal »

VERY impressive!
I can see why you like that stance, great Character!

Being as this is your hourse, I would find it fitting to use his natural colors.

How did you model him?

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

WOW great work. You got more guts than I do. I don't think I would take on that job.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Very impressive work. Your sculpture is literally dynamic...it captures motion. Thank you for posting.

Angie

snowgrains
Model of CNC Machine: Home made 8020/MDF 3'x2' cuttable

Post by snowgrains »

Mogal wrote:VERY impressive!
I can see why you like that stance, great Character!

Being as this is your hourse, I would find it fitting to use his natural colors.

How did you model him?

The base mesh is one I picked up a couple years ago. I think from TurboSquid. But then a lot of tweaking...

jonquilmusic

Post by jonquilmusic »

Awesome, again!