Ramp plunge moves

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Ramp plunge moves

Post by Zcases »

For some reason, I cannot get the tools to ramp in. I am struggling with tip life since I am in stainless steel, and since I first noticed the tip getting red hot on a plunge move, thought maybe a ramp in may help in this difficult job. Neither tool seems to be ramping, I wonder what I am missing?

Thanks for any feedback. This is an incredibly time consuming, repeating job I would love to get more efficient at. You will notice the feeds, yeah I am going THAT slow! For the V tool I am using a HSS single flute countersink and am open to suggestions there too. Carbide was breaking constantly......

I am just hoping ramping may relax the heat loads on this tip to get it to last a little longer.....

Thanks!
Scott
Attachments
July 2011 48x40 troubleshooting.crv
(231.5 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Re: Ramp plunge moves

Post by BrianM »

Hello Scott,

The ramping only applies to the flat area clearance tool and those moves all seem to have the ramps applied correctly in the file you posted. The V-Carving tool has to be able to plunge in the material to be able to do V-Carving correctly so there are no ramp moves on the V-Carving toolpaths.

Brian

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

One thing you need to be aware of is stainless work hardens in a heartbeat. So if the tool is haveing to plunge too deep and it gets hot, the stainless is allready getting hard and making the tool get hotter yet. Lacking ramping ability with vcarveing,try making very shallow cuts and use coolant if at all possible. Tool sharpness is also critical, that carbide would hold up with coolant and shallower cuts. Norm

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Scott,
I think another important question would be what RPM are you trying to cut the stainless with? If you are using high RPMs it will probably work harden the stainless even with a ramp. RPMs too high, inconsistent feed pressure and inconsistent application of cutting fluid can all be factors. Normally at lower RPMs a HSS bit can work well on stainless but at higher RPMs the carbide tools might be better. As was pointed out in the previous post, stainless will work harden very quickly if it is allowed to heat up significantly. You did not mention what number stainless you are working with and sometimes you can get better results using a different type of stainless when possible. If you have a variable spindle motor you will probably have better results using low RPMs, and if you don't you may want to see about getting another spindle for working with stainless.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Zcases »

Brian/all - thanks for the replies. I am not sure why you could not ramp in with a V-tool, if the size of the area to be machined was to some small degree larger than the tip of the cutter. This would be a huge benefit to tool life, especially for thos of us machining in metals.

I will probably have to go through a great deal of tweaking to try to get my tool to ramp or at least have some horizontal component to its travel. Hmmm.....I am messing around now, plotting out the DXF.

Man would it be nice to have this as a possibility soon. I need to find a way .... and really have always had such great luck with V Carve.....there must be a way..... (do I sound desperate?).... I have pretty much narrowed down my tips breaking on the plunge move. Of course I have done all reasonable experiments with feeds/speeds. Just need a ramp in with a V tool. I wonder if there is some creative way to trick it somehow?

I am trying to plot the DXF and may have to cut the backplotted DXF in another CAM package maybe, and put in manual plunge moves at an angle, but wow that will be a LOT of work on these parts....ewww

Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Zcases »

I see some other software for v carvind can ramp the v tool in. I hope this gets a closer look as your evaluating enhancements............