Features and more

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
red

Features and more

Post by red »

First I'd like to say that this software is very cool. Also, since I'm running a trial version some of the following list may have already been
addressed or is in the process of.

--------------------

1. Script interface : essentially automating EVERY possible command (and option) with the ability to select vectors or individual nodes (this ties
to #2)

The first thought for this was to allow the automation of a large quantity of customized designs (ie nametags). Also, include the option
to generate and save (sequential filenames?) the crv AND machining file (with postp selection) AND a preview image. The preview image is to insure the toolpath has been created correctly.

2. Vector explorer : list of every vector with sub node list (for #1 and to make editing easier)
3. Panning in 3D view : I can only rotate (I probably just dont know how)
4. Key commands dont appear to work when in mid vector modification (scaling, moving, etc...)
5. Unable to offset around an open vector, I'd like to be able to around straight lines. (ie create a border)
6. Creating near or totally zero height rectangles crashes
7. Command line interface (built into window a live connection to #1... probably just as easy to combine them)
8. Snap to grid, grid spacing, and lock to angle (holding shift locks line drawing to closest angle, like most drawing software)
9. When creating a cut past the edge, the line has to be past the material edge. A tool indicator line that can be set (like grid spacing) for
specific cutters to indicate the cutting edge to fully pass thru the edge
10. Node connection (I know vectors can be connected using join) but selecting 2 (or more) nodes to join them
11. A design template file, tied to #1. Using a predesign base that can then be customized via automation.
12. Measuring tool (virtual tape measure)
13. Is there a way to reset the origin?
14. Assigning colors to vectors (via the vector explore #2) just to make editing easier
15. Locking vectors (via #2)
16. Option to update toolpaths when changes are made to associated vectors.

Possibly a vector explorer for each toolpath (so vectors can be added/deleted/updated without having to completely recreate toolpath).

--------------------

I know this list is long, in fact I have had a lot more ideas... that I'll add later. I also realize the complexity in some of the features.

Thanks,
red

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Add one more to your list while you are at it.

The ability to turn all that stuff off.

I just spent the better part of an afternoon getting rid of all the 'features' in Corel I do not use so I do not have to wade through endless options that I do not use.

At first I found the software a little 'odd', but after using it for a few weeks now I find the interface to be 'elegant'. That is computer programmer talk for a solution that is simple, unencumbered and gets the job done.

I am not sure I want to pay for the upgrade price to include all those 'features' either.

Also, if you actually need all those features, it sounds like you should really be using a machining package. Maybe something like other software (they have a gagillion features in those menus somewhere) or SmartCAM.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

red

Post by red »

Being a computer programmer as well, I tend to like having access to all the options. AND the ability to disable them.

One of the main reasons I like vcrave is the more simplified interface and speed/ease of creating.

I guess I want my cake and to eat it too. If to get some of the features, the price had to go up then its not necessarily worth it... since then I could just go buy something else. But if some can be incorporated to make it a stronger product, then it makes sense to me.

The 2 big features I mentioned aside, most were rather small. And anyhow, they are just thoughts to share.

red

Post by red »

Any thoughts from the vectric crew?

Dan.H.
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 1325 Intech and 6090 Intech

Post by Dan.H. »

[quote="red"]Being a computer programmer as well, I tend to like having access to all the options. AND the ability to disable them.

One of the main reasons I like :lol: vcrave is the more simplified interface and speed/ease of creating.

Maybe the next ver. will be called this ( VCrave Pro ) :D

red

Post by red »

Ha. I swear that wasn't intentional. Damn subconscious.