Free BONUS Project "Mother's Day Keepsake Box"

StuartH
Vectric Craftsman

Free BONUS Project "Mother's Day Keepsake Box"

Post by StuartH »

With the U.S. Mother's Day approaching on May 8th 2011, Michael Tyler and Vectric have worked together to bring you this free bonus project for VCarve Pro 6 and Aspire 3 users!

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... epsake.htm

Start creating your unique Keepsake Box today and make this Mother's Day extra special with this thoughtful homemade gift.

The Vectric Team
Attachments
Mother's Day Keepsake Box
Mother's Day Keepsake Box
Web & Multimedia Developer
Vectric Ltd

http://about.me/vectric

pabneypaol
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: FineLine Automation home built

Re: Free BONUS Project "Mother's Day Keepsake Box"

Post by pabneypaol »

Wow,
Thanks, so much, I was feeling a bit left out with the Tuscan Grape Clock, as I do not have Aspire YET. This more than makes up for it.
Now I know I chose the right software. Never have I seen such dedication to customer service as Vectric, nor have I ever seen such enthusiastic help from forum members. I only hope that after I learn a bit more, I can help carry on the esprit de corps I have seen here.

Thanks Again,
Paul
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

A very BIG THANK YOU to Michael Tyler and Vectric team. Thanks for the extra bonus.

rbrague
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rbrague »

Thanks for the Great Design and remembering us VCARVE Folks
Rick

Toad
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Toad »

Great job guys, We do appreciate it.
Thanks again

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hello All,

I hope you'll be able to get the project done before Mother's Day! (If not, there's always next year!)

Anyway, I thought I would post a few more quick details and some photos in lieu of my normal PDF file/instructions before I leave for the weekend for my daughter's college graduation (finally, after six years - married, two kids - made the task longer for her!)

(Note to Stuart: if you are already putting something together I don't know about, go ahead and delete this post, at will! :wink: )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mother's Keepsake Box

Carefully review all the toolpaths and make any necessary changes to suit your particular bits and machine. The toolpaths are currently set with feed and speeds that were used in creating the original sample. Please don’t use them directly until you review them for your own setup. I ran this project on a ShopBot Buddy PRSalpha BT48...a great machine, I might add!

I used three bits on this project...1) CMT 60° "laser-point", 2) CMT 90°, and 3) a ¼" Down Cut for the profile cut outs.You can edit the tools and change the settings to your own preferences and requirements. I set the v-carve toolpaths' feed/speed rates fairly slow to avoid any chance of chip out on the delicate carve areas. Also, I set up TWO toolpaths for the v-carves in each file...the first pass does the job...then the 2nd pass "cleans" out fuzzies and any remnants in the grooves. I like to run the v-carves twice, but it's your choice whether you want to do that or not.

It is very important to recalculate all toolpaths after making any edits/changes either to the toolpaths or material sizes/layouts. Once you have recalculated for your own machine and bits, reset the preview, then preview all toolpaths again to visually verify the project outcome on-screen.

The project is designed with tabs to hold parts in place during the final part cut outs. You may delete the tabs if you use some other reliable hold-down method.

• After machining, separate the parts from the boards and sand off the tab remnants and any undesirable tool marks.

• The box uses simple butt-joint/glue construction. Place a couple scraps of 3/4"-thick wood on a flat surface. Place the bottom of the box on top of the "platform" of scraps. This elevates the bottom to the correct height. (No, don't glue the scraps on -they are there just as a temporary spacer/platform.)

• Glue the four sides to each other and the bottom. Apply clamps until set.

• Attach the hinge to the box and lid to check fit. Adjust if necessary (sand).

• Remove the hinge and apply your choice of finish.

• Re-attach the hinge and install a lid strain relief chain or bracket after the finish is dry.

• Give to Mom (or Mum)!
Attachments
1_Machining_Lid.jpg
2_Base_Components.jpg
3_Glue_Parts_together.jpg
4_Clamping_Parts.jpg
5_Assembled_Box.jpg
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

h
thanks for the plans and assembly hints
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

progun

Post by progun »

Thank You so much Vectric team,
My moms will love them...

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hello,

I finished my "Mother's Keepsakes Box" for my Mom today and thought you might want to see a couple pics of it!

- The wood is Maple
- Applied Minwax "Natural" stain #209
- Applied several spray coats of Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Gloss (sanded lightly with 800-grit sandpaper between every couple of coats)
Attachments
Keepsake_Box_ISO_view_550x491.jpg
Keepsake_Box_OPEN_550x645.jpg
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Nice protect Michael, I'm gone to try it this week. Where did you get the piano hinge? I went to the link you provided on the paradise box but couldn't find it there at www.hardwareworld.com.

Mark

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

MarkJohnston wrote:Nice protect Michael, I'm gone to try it this week. Where did you get the piano hinge? I went to the link you provided on the paradise box but couldn't find it there at http://www.hardwareworld.com.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I did indeed buy the hinges at Hardware World, but I just visited the website and don't see them listed at the moment (perhaps give them a call?). I did a quick search on Yahoo and saw Amazon has them...oops, they say they are out of stock, too!

Couple alternatives might be Lee Valley and Rockler. I have seen 36"-long brass piano hinges at my local Lowes or Home Depot, but those would need to be cut to length (not sure how easily that could be done).

A last alternative is just use a couple smaller hinges instead of the continous piano hinge. I know a lot of folks use those anyway, but I like how a continous piano hinge "lines up" the lid. For some reason, it looks like they are getting harder to find.

If anyone knows of a good/reliable/consistent supplier of piano-style box hinges, please post a link or two.

Mark: I just checked my invoice from Hardware World. They list the 1268XC 3/4" x 8" Continous Hinge as their product number 4852802 and Bin Location as 08.017.034.06.2 in case that will be helpful if you contact them via email or phone.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Michael,

I wrote to hardware world and got this reply back.

From Hardware world:

Thank you for your email to customer service. Unfortunately we no longer carry the hinge you are looking for. I did some research on the manufacturers website and could not find it there either. It is possible it is no longer in production. I have included a link to their webpage for your info. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks and good luck in your search!
http://www.libertyhardware.com/Default.aspx

I guess we will have to use the smaller hinges, I really liked the looks of the piano hinge.
Thanks for all you are doing for our CNC world, please keep it up.

Mark

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thanks, Mark. I went to their website and inquired if they can direct us to another source for those hinges. I'll let you know what I find out.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

COBOB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by COBOB »

Woodcraft still sells the Piano Hinge, but for what they want for it you can buy a lot of nicer hinges.

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Home Depot sells a 3/4 piano henge. I'm not sure but you may even find one at Michaels.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/