how to copy a group of already calculated toolpath?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Roelli
Vectric Craftsman

how to copy a group of already calculated toolpath?

Post by Roelli »

Hi.

I sometimes have to make more than only one of the same part. Is it possible to calculate all toolpath for one part and copy the hole part with the already calculated toolpath next to the first part?
(iam using VC6 - until now iam calculating the toolpath for one object, copy the toolpath/group/ungroup to layer and then I have to select all toolpath seperately which sometimes take some time)

Thanks!

Roelli.
Vcarve PRO rocks!
...and now it rocks even more: http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/gadgets.html

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: how to copy a group of already calculated toolpath?

Post by Adrian »

Have read up on Toolpath Templates in the Help file. That should be what you're looking for.

Roelli
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Roelli »

Adrian wrote:Have read up on Toolpath Templates in the Help file. That should be what you're looking for.
Doesn't work for me somehow.

If I understand correctly I have to save the toolpathes and load them again?
So if I want to make 50 small signs I have to save 50x and load 50x? Right?

However... I think there is a bug. I can save the toolpath but vcarve doesn't show me the previously saved toolpath!
And when loading the toolpath (I can select some strange chinese symbols but I can't see the toolpath)

Have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYH8jxsqWno&hd=1&hd=1
Vcarve PRO rocks!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

No, you setup up the job for one copy with all the toolpaths setup. You then save the toolpath template using the all visible toolpaths template icon.

You create all the copies of the job vectors, load the template and click the re-calculate toolpaths icon and job done.

Save once, load once.

You need to make sure that the layers you're using are associated with the toolpaths and the associate box is checked within the toolpath vector selection.

Roelli
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Roelli »

hmm... but how can i move the position of the toolpath?
When I save and load a toolpath it is at the same position as the original toolpath!? :oops:
Vcarve PRO rocks!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Have a look at the attached example.

If you load the example template and click the recalculate button you'll see how it works. I'm not sure what is going wrong when you're trying it but I expect you're missing a step somewhere.

Look at the vector selection part of the toolpaths to see how they apply to the vectors in the file.
Attachments
Example.zip
(21.01 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

Roelli
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Roelli »

Thanks Adrian.

Your example works fine.
But it seems that iam just too dump to get it working if i need to save my own template. :twisted:

The reason for using templates is that I want to copy the toolpath from one object to all other objects.

What iam doing:
I draw two rectangular objects... one with inside, the other with outside machine vectors.
I select both calculated toolpath and save them as a template.

Then I copy the objects next to each other.

I thought that vcarve will know the objects and put the toolpath calcuations to ALL objects.

That doesn't work.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVW6Qf2Nfz0&hd=1

Thanks!
Roelli.
Vcarve PRO rocks!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Great video. I can see the step you're missing compared to the example. You need to use the vector selector in the toolpath to associate the vectors with the toolpath or the software won't know which vectors go with which toolpath apart from those you created before the copy.

If you look at my example you'll see that the rectangle is on a layer named Outside. If you then look at the toolpath and look at the bottom of the dialog you'll see an area called "Vector Selection". If you click on the "Selector..." button you will see that I've set the Vector Selector to select all closed vectors on the Outside layer and associated that with the toolpath (the checkbox at the bottom).

That is what causes VCarve to know which vectors to calculate toolpaths for. Once you load the template VCarve will create a toolpath for any closed vector on the Outside layer as soon as you click the recalculate button.

Ron Helliar
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ron Helliar »

Adrian,
Thank you for your help on this, your explanation was spot on. I was doing a simple step & repeat project and was missing the same step as Roelli above.
I'm again surprised at the rich feature set in Aspire.
Custom signs and service in a "comic sans, corex world"
http://www.MarysvilleSign.com

cnick60
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus

Post by cnick60 »

Ok...I am run some duplicate items with 3 different tool paths at 2 different depths. The problem I am having is, it is saving the paths as a template, and loads them too with no problems. But when I copy array/recalculate it runs all three paths on every vectric?

It is a 90* v bit, the paths are supposed cut as follows: one path cuts ON the vector@ .0313 depth, the other ON THE INSIDE and the last on the OUTSIDE both of these at .0625. again, what the problem is it runs all three, ON, then INSIDE, then OUTSIDE on all 3 vectors.

I am sure it is an OE (operator error) problem.. :lol: ....can someone please help the newbie?
Thanks
Curtis

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Have you checked that the vectors are still on the layers you put them on originally?

When copying/duplicating vectors it's very easy to get them on the active layer rather than the ones they came from.

I tend to group the vectors I want to copy and then ungroup them to the original layers when I've made enough copies.

cnick60

Post by cnick60 »

Thanks Adrian!,
I could check that if I had any idea what you where talking about :oops: ....I will read up on the layers as i dont know a lot about them

cnick60

Post by cnick60 »

Yep! That was it they were all on the same layer...THANKS!!!!!