"You've Captured My Heart" - Vectric Project - FREE to all

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

"You've Captured My Heart" - Vectric Project - FREE to all

Post by mtylerfl »

Hello,

Here is the latest Aspire project created for you (for February 2011), and is available as a free download, courtesy of the fine folks at Vectric!

It's a fun project that expresses to a loved one how he/she has captured your heart! This project was originally created with Valentine’s Day in mind, but it is perfectly suitable for many other special occasions such as a wedding proposal, a wedding anniversary celebration, a birthday, or simply “just because”!

This unique decorative item features a ‘captured heart’ suspended from a golden chain inside a wooden cage structure with the V-carve lettering phrase “You’ve Captured My Heart” encompassing the circular base. The overall finished dimensions of the assembled project are about 7" round x 8½" tall.

• I modeled all components using Aspire 3, then copied/pasted each component into the final layout where I then calculated the toolpaths, etc. All parts (except the dowels) are carved/cut from a single board measuring 0.75" x 11.2" x 22". I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT32 to run this project.

Here’s what I used on my own “You’ve Captured My Heart” project made from Select Pine:

The Heart:
• Minwax Sedona Red stain #222
• 5 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss Acrylic spray
• 2 coats of Finishing Wax (paste wax)

The Top, Base and Dowels:
• 1 light coat of thinned Bullseye SealCoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Minwax English Chestnut stain #233
• 3 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss Acrylic spray
• 2 coats Minwax water-base Satin polycrylic (brushed)
• Gold Rub-n-Buff to accent portions of top and base
(after final assembly)

The Four Wooden Feet and Screw Eyes:
• Krylon Metallic Brilliant Gold spray paint
Attachments
Finished_Captured_My_Heart_423x640.jpg
CapturedMyHeart_on_shelf_550x413_2.jpg
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: "You've Captured My Heart" - Vectric Project - FREE to all

Post by gravirozo »

michael, im impressed by your ideas... this also a project, i never mind before... im sure if i make it honey will like it..

thank you to share it us...

viktor

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

gravirozo wrote:michael, im impressed by your ideas... this also a project, i never mind before... im sure if i make it honey will like it..
thank you to share it us...

viktor
Thank you, Viktor. I always appreciate your encouragement! (BTW, I'm still trying find some carving time for those samples we were talking about a couple weeks ago! Maybe I need to get a couple more machines, eh?)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

all you need is another clock, that working 36 hour a day instead 24 :-)

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

gravirozo wrote:all you need is another clock, that working 36 hour a day instead 24 :-)
Yes...you, too!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Small correction on my original post...I used the PRSalpha BT48 Buddy to run the project! How on earth I put the BT32 model, I don't know...not enough coffee, I guess! (I also have the 6ft PowerStick accessory so it will have a total area capacity of a little over 48" x 48")
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

bill_w
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PRSalpha BT48

Post by bill_w »

Very nice project Michael,
I think it will be well received by the spouse and I think it would be nice and I will try if I can find a music box with the song by Sonny & Shear called " I've Got Ewe, Babe " to be incorporated with this project..
Very nice project Michael :!:
Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

bill_w wrote:Very nice project Michael,
I think it will be well received by the spouse and I think it would be nice and I will try if I can find a music box with the song by Sonny & Shear called " I've Got Ewe, Babe " to be incorporated with this project..
Very nice project Michael :!:
Thanks, Bill. Man, I wish I had thought of the "I've Got Ewe, Babe" theme - I could have made a sheep pattern instead of the heart. :lol:
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

crash5050
Vectric Craftsman

Post by crash5050 »

Downloaded and attempted a cut on my machine. I think it missed some steps somewhere because what i got looks nothing like the pictures. I will be off to lowes tomorrow to get some more of that ponderosa pine select.

Thanks for the project, keep em coming :D

David

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

First attempt I made at this today...oh my...eeeek...

Came back in and re-calculated all of the tool paths and it ran somewhat better, but also had an issue with losing steps in the Y axis and Z was off just a tad which would require horrendous amounts of sanding.

Thought that my machine was off so ran some calibration routines and it was still within params from my last tuning soooo, gonna sleep on it and give it another go tomorrow...
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi David and Mike,

Just checking in with you both to see how it's going for you.

Very important that you review and change the toolpaths/bits according to your machine and the bits you have on hand. I used a ShopBot to run my own - no issues at all. The toolpaths were calculated for my particular machine and bits, and the project should run flawlessly for you, once the toolpath settings are edited to suit your own machines. (maybe you did that already?)

What machines are you each using? If you run into any further issues, please let me know. You can even post photos if you think that might help us with any troubleshooting. Perhaps I can help you with the setup. You can email, PM or call me, if you wish (visit my website for email and phone number).

I hope you get 'er done all right! Valentine's Day is fast approaching!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Buc

Post by Buc »

Michael,

Thank you very much for the captured heart file.

I machined mine on a shark pro. The problem I had was mostly myself. I always layout my material and machine from the center of the work piece. You guys with the big fancy machines always set X and Y axis zero's at the lower left hand corner. I had problems trying to move the drawing with my X and Y axis set to the center of part. When I recalculated the tool paths the 3D carving looked nothing like it should look in the tool path preview. Finally I started over. This can't be that hard to set X and Y zero's to the lower left hand corner. Figured it out. Already had the dowel holes drilled in my part. Had to tweek my X and Y positions and got the holes realligned. Ran great after I set X and Y axis' where the big boys do. The 'Top/Top' finished carving about 3/4's of the way, then it moved up to finish carve one of the parts with the dowel holes. Took a short nap came back and the 'Top/top' was finished and everything came out great. I should have had the web cam running, I could have made a video. My arms were waving and I was talking to myself. Thanks for the finishing information, going to try that now.
Buc

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thanks for the feedback, Buc! Great report that other Shark owners may find helpful, too!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

In the process of making another run now so will see how things go.

As for the system, I'm using a homebuilt Blacktoe v2.2

I had re-calculated the paths for the tools and feedrates for my machine. Got a bit of a late start today. When I was looking over my machine, found out that my router mount was loose, so had to get that fixed. Also made a new center-finding jig. The one I had before was just a weee bit off in Y, but all good now.

Never did have a skirt around the base, so finally went and got some 8 mil plastic, doubled it over and put that on too...my wife was glad to see a little better dust control hahaha

so now...running the rouging pass.....hopefully this run will work well with only minor sanding needed.

Mike
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you've gotten your machine issue sorted out. Great! The project should come out perfectly for you! If you have the time, please post a pic or two when you're done.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC